Mailwatch not logging

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
hilario

Mailwatch not logging

Post by hilario »

Would you please help me?
It fails with the following log:

MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.74.16 starting...
May 6 00:51:31 alfa MailScanner[31501]: Read 810 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
May 6 00:51:31 alfa MailScanner[31501]: Read 3195 hostnames from the phishing blacklist
May 6 00:51:31 alfa MailScanner[31501]: Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
May 6 00:51:31 alfa MailScanner[31501]: Started SQL Logging child
May 6 00:51:31 alfa MailScanner[31508]: Unable to initialise database connection: Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
May 6 00:51:31 alfa MailScanner[31508]: Could not use Custom Function code MailScanner::CustomConfig::InitMailWatchLogging, it could not be "eval"ed. Make sure the module is correct with perl -wc
May 6 00:51:32 alfa MailScanner[31501]: Using SpamAssassin results cache
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

hilario

Post by hilario »

Hi Sarah,

This raises some additional questions:
  1. Should I first uninstall Mailscanner before installing it using the informations at http://www.configserver.com/cp/msfeinstaller.html?
  2. Will it preserve all my custom settings or should I first make a backup of /usr/mailscanner before reinstalling Mailscanner? and then upload the configuration files again?
  3. Will it preserve all my data in the mailscanner mysql database?
  4. How do I backup and restore the data in my mailscanner database before removing and re-creating it?
Thanks,

Hilário
P.S. It could be a good idea to add the answers as complimentary information to the faq http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=30
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

1. No, there is no need to uninstall MailScanner.
2. Yes, your existing settings should all be preserved
3. Yes, as long as you do not remove the database manually, which is the last resort if none of the other solutions work
4. You can back up your mailscanner database as you would back up (dump) any mysql database. If one has to remove the database and recreate it because it is corrupted, then backing it up and restoring it would be pointless since it is corrupted.

From the log lines you provided, it is apparent that the problem is the mysql root password, so changing the mysql root password is all you will need to do. The other suggestions are there because it is a general FAQ regarding problems with mailwatch, in case it is not a password issue.