Bug Report - Mailscanner FE update big

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
hilario

Bug Report - Mailscanner FE update bug

Post by hilario »

Hello,

First off all, sorry if this is not the correct place to report bugs on ConfigServer MSFE scripts. Please let me know where I should post it.

Bug Description:

I have set a few lines in the \usr\mailscanner\bin\cron\clean.quarantine.cron file.

For at least two times, after an update of MSFE aand/or Mailscanner, the file reverted to it original non edited version.

This is really a problem cause it may take many days till you realize something is not working as it should be and you just do not understand why something you have alread fixed (and of course forgot) is presenting problems again.

There are other files that reverted to it default. I will report as soon as I locate all the problems.

Please fix the update scripts so we do not have to upload the edited files all over again.

Thanks in Advance

Hilário
hilario

Another file destroyed: Bayes

Post by hilario »

As a result of the reversion of files to MSFE defaults, it destroyed my Bayes files that I spent days cliking in Mailwatch to train it.

The file \usr\mailscanner\etc\spam.assassin.prefs.conf was reverted to default.

I had a good well trained bayes file. As I used it to control the Bayes size and expire, the default destroyed all my work and cleaned lots of entries.

Again, I will apreciate if you can fix the "MSFE update scripts" so my configuration files are not destroyed any more.

Thanks in advance.

Hilário
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

This is not a bug, it is the way the upgrade process works. If you have customised any files you should of course always make backup copies of any files that you have modified. There may be changes in the new files, so you should compare them to your backed up files to ensure that you include any necessary changes in your customised files.

Regards,
Sarah
hilario

So, Converting to Feature Request

Post by hilario »

Good Morning Sarah !

The file \usr\mailscanner\bin\cron\clean.quarantine.cron DO HAVE at least ONE CONFIGURABLE LINE:

Default Line:
$days_to_keep = 7;

My edited line:
$days_to_keep = 30;

Of course, if this file keeps being updated whitout any information, as soon as it runs the first time, it destroys my queue, leving only the last 7 days.

So, if you do not consider this a bug, I happily change my mind and now I consider it a very desirable feature request !!

An idea would be to have it as a variable that could be set in MSFE to whatever value the user chose.

Would you please include this new feature in newer versions of your scripts?

Thanks

Hilário
hilario

Post by hilario »

Months have passed and I still wish this could be solved.

I believe that it could be easily solved adding this as a variable configured in MSFE instead of hard coded.

I would be grateful forever if you could solve this for us.