CSF blocking various types of traffic after server host name change

rolinger

CSF blocking various types of traffic after server host name change

Post by rolinger »

I have a GoDaddy dedicated VPS. At least 6 weeks ago, if not longer, GoDaddy began changing all server host name formats and retired the original format on Sept 15th.

Old format: ip-72-167-111.222-ip.secureserver.net
New format: 222.111.167.72.host.secureserver.net

And about 6 weeks ago I began experiencing problems where my server could no longer connect to outbound services like automated updates for cpanel, configserver, AutoSSL, etc. I haven't made any changes to my CSF configs in at least 6 months. So I am suspecting that this force host name change has impacted my firewall causing some inbound connections to fail and many server initiated outbound connections to fail. If I turn off the CSF, all those blocked connections (inbound and outbound) work again.

In fact, with my CSF on, I couldn't even get emails from forum.configserver.net to reset my forum account password. Turn off CSF, and I get those emails. I was even trying to troubleshoot this with GoDaddy support (which sux on every level) and I couldn't receive emails from the support person - until I turned of CSF.

I have combed through my CSF configs trying to find any setting that would be related to the old vs new hostname but I can't find anything. I even temporarily permitted all TCP_OUT ports to: TCP_OUT = 1:65535 - and my outbound connections still didn't work.

If this isn't related to the host name change then I haven't a clue as to what is going on, because as I mentioned earlier I haven't made any FW configs changes in at least 6 months, so what then made all these services start to fail?

I am running CSV v14.17 - I don't know when it auto-updated to this version, but could there be an issue with this version?
rolinger

Re: CSF blocking various types of traffic after server host name change

Post by rolinger »

I couldn't figure out how to close this thread. I don't believe the above is the issue; though the timing of it just made everything very suspect because it was the ONLY known change when my CSF started doing random bizarre things.

Please refer to this thread now: viewtopic.php?t=12628