RBLs: spamhaus-ZEN spamcop.net - MailScanner

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
hilario

RBLs: spamhaus-ZEN spamcop.net - MailScanner

Post by hilario »

Hello,

When I set "Spam List = spamhaus-ZEN spamcop.net" in Mailscanner any email sent from my domain to any address in our ouwn domain gets blocked.

I checked both spamhaus and spamcop, and our IP is not in any of those lists.

What should I do to use the lists and still be possible to send emails from/to our own domain? It probably is a simple configuration option in Mailscanner.

Thanks,

Hilário

Some aditional info:

I've followed the intructions at http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/...aqid=43&page=4

But as Mailscanner does not collect data in that case, I'm not able to tell how much email was in fact blocked. I also have no idea if this solution generates false positives.

What I am trying to do is temporarily move to the Mailscanner Spamlist and disable the Exim blocking at SMTP time. That way I will collect the data and make sure I am absolutely not getting any false positives.

As the result of enabling it in MailScanner is that we are blocking our own emails sent to other employes in our own company, I just can't make the switch till I learn what is causing this problem.

I will apreciate if someone can spread some light over this problem

Tks in advance

Hilário
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

What exactly do you see in the mailscanner report in the headers or the SA report in MailWatch for these emails? I.e. are you certain it is the RBL that is causing it to be marked as spam? What is the IP address that the mail is being sent FROM? This is not necessarily the IP address of your server, but could be the IP address of your local mail server or ISP connection.
hilario

Post by hilario »

This is what I see in Mailwatch:

Listed in RBL: Y
Received Via: this IP number is the IP of my desktop computer (Dinamic IP) and NOT my server computer. I then sent an email from an account hosted in a third part server and it correctely sent the email with that server IP number.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Hilário
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

There are several possible answers to this, if it is your local ISP IP address that is causing the problem.
1) Get your ISP to get your IP address delisted from the RBL (if it is a dedicated IP address assigned to you).
2) Use your ISP's SMTP server rather than your server to send email.
3) Whitelist your IP address - but only if you are the only one that uses this IP address.

Since you didn't actually give your local IP address and server IP address, or the full info from the headers (it will specify WHICH list it is on) I can't check to see if it is actually in spamcop or spamhaus.If you don't want to give this information publicly then you can send me a PM with the information, or log a support ticket on the helpdesk.

Regards,
Sarah