Out of the box spam filters trapping MORE than MailScanner

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
hotwired

Out of the box spam filters trapping MORE than MailScanner

Post by hotwired »

Good Morning
I ran through the forum a bit to see if this had been answered, and went through the list of troubleshooting options but basically the problem is that MailScanner is failing to catch some REALLY entry level spam. My out of the box junk mail filter is catching every single one of them. There might be 20 every morning, most of the same exact spam emails, that MailScanner is failing to catch. I've "trained" these exact emails upwards of 30 times (not exaggerating), even spending an HOUR or so "training" it by confirming that clean emails are clean, etc. This is after a server change and reinstallation, but I brought over my old files. Now to be fair MS is catching a TON of spam, but it's FAILING to catch a HALF TON of embarassingly obvious spam emails. What might be some troubleshooting steps I could take? I've already got my setting at 6 for maybe spam, 4 for definite which is FAR more zealous than default. Thanks for any tips in the right direction.
Sergio

Re: Out of the box spam filters trapping MORE than MailScanner

Post by Sergio »

The best thing is to create your own spamassassin rules for the spam that is not catched by MSFE and assign a very high score.
Then create rules for CSF (firewall) to block the server that sent the spam and at last another CSF script to check if more that 10 IPs from the same IP range have been sending spam and if so, then the script should proceed to block the /24 range of the offending IPs.