CXS high CPU usage over 50%

Community forum to discuss cxs.
If you believe that there is a problem with your cxs installation and want support then, as a paid product, you should use the helpdesk after having consulted the documentation.
doitsolutions

CXS high CPU usage over 50%

Post by doitsolutions »

Hello,

CXS is using over 50% of my dedicated server's CPU. is there a setting to limit it's CPU or resource usage? If not, what third party solution do you recommend? I am happy for this scan to take a lot longer as long as the CPU usage does not go above 20%.
Thanks,

Michael A
DO IT Solutions.
Sarah

Re: CXS high CPU usage over 50%

Post by Sarah »

There is no option to limit cpu usage, but you could have a look at the --throttle option. Also see if you can limit the directories that cxs is scanning, for instance only scan web directories and not user mail directories, and ignore any frequently updated files (such as log files) where possible.
doitsolutions

Post by doitsolutions »

Throttle will make it skip directories with many files in them, I already have it scanning only the public_html directory and subdirectories there of (no mail etc), and the logs do not take that long to scan.

The scan I run daily does NOT take too long, it only scans files changes over the last couple of days. Time is not the problem, the high strain on the CPU is the problem, for however short a time it is. I would be happy for it to scan for 10 hours even (if it had to), as long as it didn't take more than 10 - 20% CPU.

I have heard about some third party solutions (eg. install "cpulimit" command etc) but I have never done this.

Surely someone in the CS community has had this problem and resolved it in some way, any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,

Michael A.
DO IT Solutions
sahostking

Post by sahostking »

I'd also like to know - sitting with the same issue of high cpu usage for CXS