MailScanner Status: Stopped!

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
web4net

Post by web4net »

Hello,

After the update of mailscanner this morning, I see this message in the Front-end:

And it's impossible to restart it. All the email is in the queue of the server but not delivered.

What can I do to restart the mailscanner?

also, when I click on Access MailWatch, I receive this error:

Warning: fgets() [function.fgets]: Length parameter must be greater than 0 in /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/3rdparty/mailwatch/functions.php on line 924
bveditz

Post by bveditz »

I've had the same problem as well... can't come up with any way to get it to start again, if i try it just sits there. Mail all sitting in the queue.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

bveditz, please go through the suggestions in the FAQ:

http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=14

What is the output when you run MailScanner in debug mode?
bveditz

Post by bveditz »

I went through the steps in the faq, no luck. Most of the steps in the FAQ (including the debug mode) assume that MailScanner actually starts. It never starts. Sometimes it says it's running if I do a check on it (service MailScanner status) but most of the time it just hangs at the "Starting MailScanner daemons" (see below). This is what typically happens even if I try the reinstall (it goes through the process then hangs at starting the daemons).

Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
MailScanner: [FAILED]
Waiting for MailScanner to stop..
Starting MailScanner daemons:

Also, no matter what I do (unless I disable it, of course), it says "Stopped" in the MailScanner Cpanel screen, even if it thinks it's running after a reboot via the status command. Of course it's not really running (at least not the part that does the mail) since things just keep queueing up.

Assuming, for whatever reason, it's decided to never run on my server again, I have a couple questions:

Is there anyway to get those messages out of the MailScanner queue and back over to exim or wherever so they get distributed? Also, if I were to try a complete uninstall and then a reinstall, would those messages still be there or would they get wiped out?

as a note, from the faq stuff, I do have redhat 9 but it is not a VPS, it's a regular server, if that means anything.

Thanks!
bveditz

Post by bveditz »

btw, results of the debug:

[/usr/mailscanner/etc]# service MailScanner stop
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
MailScanner: [FAILED]
Waiting for MailScanner to stop..
[/usr/mailscanner/etc]# killall -9 MailScanner
MailScanner: no process killed
[/usr/mailscanner/etc]# /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner --debug

(it never does anything after that last line, just sits there no matter what I hit, unless I ctrl-break out of it)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I can only guess that the VPS-RH9 problem has affected your server even if it isn't a VPS. Obviously, you should upgrade to a supported OS.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

If you uninstall MailScanner as per the FAQ (search for "uninstall Mailscanner" any emails in the pending queue will be moved to the exim delivery queue and you should not lose any mail. You can reinstall MailScanner after you have upgraded your OS.
bveditz

Post by bveditz »

Thanks, that appears to work. Upgrading the OS isn't really an option at the moment, so I'll just leave it off for now.