MailScanner Front End Not Learning

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
Gene Steinberg

MailScanner Front End Not Learning

Post by Gene Steinberg »

I have added several email addresses to the whitelist, because they are erroneously flagged as spam. But they're still being erroneously flagged.

An example is:

newsletters@e.usatoday.com

This appears to be the actual address based on headers, but it doesn't work. The mail is still labeled as Spam. It's basically just an announcement about articles in the latest edition of USA Today.

Ideas?

Yes, I'm using the latest versions of everything in an up-to-date cPanel 11 installation.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Sarah

Re: MailScanner Front End Not Learning

Post by Sarah »

Have you checked the envelope-from header for these emails? Is it the same address that you are whitelisting? Have you checked /usr/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules to make sure that it is listed there in the correct format?
Gene Steinberg

Post by Gene Steinberg »

Sarah wrote:Have you checked the envelope-from header for these emails? Is it the same address that you are whitelisting? Have you checked /usr/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules to make sure that it is listed there in the correct format?
I do not see an Envelope-From: category. There's an Envelope-To: and, a From:

I examined half a dozen "allowed" emails, and none of them had an Envelope-From: in the header.

The number of whitelisted items was 46. I increased the maximum number allowed from 50 to 100, but how would that impact this, unless the app thinks I already exceeded the number?

Peace,
Gene
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

envelope-from will be part of one of the Received: headers, and not on a line of its own.

Are you making these changes in cPanel or WHM?
Gene Steinberg

Post by Gene Steinberg »

Sarah wrote:envelope-from will be part of one of the Received: headers, and not on a line of its own.

Are you making these changes in cPanel or WHM?
I'm using WHM — and it appears I am using the proper "from" link in the header to whitelist.

I've spent a little time cleaning out old entries, and found a couple of duplicates. Let's hope that cleans it up.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

You say you're using the proper "From" header to whitelist. Just to make sure we're clear on this, the one you want to use is the email address listed for "envelope-from" which is usually in the Received headers. Mailing lists commonly show different addresses for "From:" and "envelope-from", which is why it is important to check.
Gene Steinberg

Post by Gene Steinberg »

Sarah wrote:You say you're using the proper "From" header to whitelist. Just to make sure we're clear on this, the one you want to use is the email address listed for "envelope-from" which is usually in the Received headers. Mailing lists commonly show different addresses for "From:" and "envelope-from", which is why it is important to check.
Thanks, Sarah. Yes, I'm using the correct one. :)

Peace,
Gene