csf causing excessive load averages

macpcrepair

csf causing excessive load averages

Post by macpcrepair »

Hi
I have a recurring issue on my 2 cpanel/whm controlled vps servers CENTOS 7.9 kvm [gamma] v94.0.3 .
I have installed csf and lfd as per 'the book' BUT, if I leave service csf enabled the load average gradually ramps up to a huge and non resposive value (I have seen 30 30 30!! - that took some recovery from)
However as soon as I 'systemctl stop csf' the load averages rapidly drop to their usual values of around 0.1 to 0.2.
Can anyone suggest what I've missed? I apologise if I've missed a suitable answer elsewhere in this space...
John
sahostking

Re: csf causing excessive load averages

Post by sahostking »

Not entirely sure what the cause could be.

But I would recommend you go through each setting in your csf.conf.

Also are you using ipset? if not then if you have alot of blocklists enabled that could cause some slowness.

Also is CSF monitoring alot of CUSTOM log locations? May be too many logs to be read?

Also be sure you are using SSD disks if logs and activity on your server is HUGE.

Not quite sure what else could be the issue.

If none of the above is an issue try the following which may help

Take a backup of your conf files like csf.conf, regex.pm and csf.blocklists, etc.
Once done uninstall csf sh /etc/csf/uninstal.sh
Reinstall CSF once again with default config ( do not add your config files at the point)
See if same happens with default setup.
If not then its something enabled or changed in your config. Maybe do a comparison between csf.conf and default one to see what differs or is causing the issue.

Hope the above helps