IP Constantly Getting Blocked

circusplexus

IP Constantly Getting Blocked

Post by circusplexus »

I have 2 cpanel servers. One is constantly blocking my IP address. I have my WiFi IP whitelisted. But, if for any reason, like a recent power outage, the router gets rebooted and it gets assigned a new IP, that one gets blocked and I have to have someone in another network login and white list that one. This gets really irritating when I am out of the office and my Phone's Verizon IP gets blocked. It happens even before I can whitelist it. I login to the server and before I get to the firewall page I'm blocked.

I do not have this problem with the other server. They are both using CSF.. But this one is one where I have my own domain email so it's maddening.

Is there some kind of setting that can be changed to only block IPs that have x number of failed logins? That's normal.

Thanks.
adamreece-webbox

Re: IP Constantly Getting Blocked

Post by adamreece-webbox »

Does the reason for the block not show up in the syslog?

You can see the most recent dropped packets with:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep Blocked | tail
Or if you want a longer list:

dmesg | grep Blocked | tail -n 40
Edit: Actually this one will be more useful for you:

tail /var/log/lfd.log | grep "ip.address.getting.blocked" | tail
jcx

Re: IP Constantly Getting Blocked

Post by jcx »

Hiya!

If you search /var/log/lfd.log for your IP address, for example using

cat /var/log/lfd.log | grep 127\.0\.0\.1
It will provide the reasons why LFD is blocking your IP with CSF, so that you can then look at the rules which are triggering.

For example, if I were to search my IP and the following appeared:

Oct 16 00:00:00 hostname lfd[1111111]: (cpanel) Failed cPanel login from PUBLICIP (CountryCode/Country/reversedns.example.com): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_CPANEL]
Which would make me look at the LF_CPANEL rule and potentially increase it to a higher amount by changing LF_CPANEL to a number higher than 1 in the configuration.

Edit: If it's set to 1, any failure would trigger a block, where as I have it set to 5 so that people get a few chances.

You can also check failed logins in /var/local/cpanel/login_log

Hopefully this helps you out :)

Kind regards,
Jess