How to maintain and deploy configurations for CSF firewall for several Ubuntu Linux servers

spinozarabel

How to maintain and deploy configurations for CSF firewall for several Ubuntu Linux servers

Post by spinozarabel »

How to maintain and deploy configurations for CSF firewall for several Ubuntu Linux servers?

Currently I maintain configurations for each server separately on my PC. If and when I make a change or improvement I manually ripple it across all the configurations and upload to my servers. This is error prone and tedious. (A configuration is a set of files such as csf.conf, csf.allow, csf.ignore, csf.pignore, csf.dyndns).

I am thinking of using a private git repository for this purpose. Each server configuration will be a different branch. On any server I will have a repository in my home directory cloning this private git repository. In the /etc/csf directory I will symlink the csf.conf, csf.allow, csf.pignore, csf.dyndns to the files in the repository in my home directory. Now updating a repository is as easy as doing a git pull to the appropriate branch. My questions are: Is this a good way to do this? Are there better recommended ways to do this? Will CSF automatic updates work?
sl0m0

Re: How to maintain and deploy configurations for CSF firewall for several Ubuntu Linux servers

Post by sl0m0 »

If your config is the same across all csf instances, you can activate them as a csf cluster and nominate one as your master (CLUSTER_MASTER and CLUSTER_CONFIG=1). You can then issue the "csf -cf filename" via a script and the "filename" you specify will be sent to all cluster members. Script this and run via a cron and all your cluster members are automatically kept in sync with the config.