RBL check timeout bug?

marcele

RBL check timeout bug?

Post by marcele »

On one of our servers when running csf --rbl <myemail> when I get the email it says:

RBL Check on web0.example.com: [860] failures

Everyone of the IPs has all the RBLs listed in red with no other text. I've manually gone to each of the RBLs and checked the IP addresses and none of them are listed.

I'm thinking that the RBL check times out after a while and silently fails, then sends out the email with the wrong results?
marcele

Re: RBL check timeout bug?

Post by marcele »

Also note that this server has about 20 different IP addresses assigned to it.
ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin »

That would suggest problems with the output from the HOST command on the server.

You need to reverse the IP address being test and then append the RBL being used and test as follows (e.g. 1.2.3.4 on zen.spamhaus.org would look like):

Code: Select all

# host -t A 4.3.2.1.zen.spamhaus.org
Host 4.3.2.1.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
If you are seeing anything else then there's a problem and you need to quote the output. A positive hit would look like (e.g. 2.2.2.2 on zen.spamhaus.org would look like):

# host -t A 2.2.2.2.zen.spamhaus.org
2.2.2.2.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.11
If you're seeing a hit, then the text from the RBL (if available, not all provide it):

# host -t TXT 2.2.2.2.zen.spamhaus.org
2.2.2.2.zen.spamhaus.org descriptive text "https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/2.2.2.2"
marcele

Post by marcele »

You were right. There was a wildcard DNS entry on the search domain that was causing this issue. Setting "search ." in /etc/resolv.conf fixed the issue.

Great catch!