Unable to use remote post with firewall enabled

urbansouldesign

Unable to use remote post with firewall enabled

Post by urbansouldesign »

Hi.

We have csf installed but are unable to use paypal's IPN, or other payment providers, as remote posts are being blocked by the firewall.

A typical example is a site running WordPress and Woocommerce. The Woocommerce status page shows a red cross and the message,
"Remote Post: wp_remote_post() failed. PayPal IPN won't work with your server. Contact your hosting provider. Error: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 10000 milliseconds". If CSF is disabled then there is a green tick next to Remote Post and everything works fine. It's not a ModSecurity issue as the message remains whether ModSecurity is enabled or disabled.

Is there anybody out there that can help, or could Way to The Web help by looking at the server and possibly fixing it, for a fee of course?

Thanks
Mark
urbansouldesign

Resolved: Unable to use remote post with firewall enabled

Post by urbansouldesign »

For anybody else who may have this issue...

We have identified that using the Country Blocking feature within CSF was the issue. The feature works perfectly but one of the countries on our list was stopping the PayPal IPN coming through and was causing a 500 Internal Server Error when checked against the PayPal IPN History.

The offending country? Netherlands. So remove the NL code from the blocked countries list and everything works fine.

I hope this helps somebody.
youhost

Re: Unable to use remote post with firewall enabled

Post by youhost »

Hello,
I would like to thank you for having posted your solution!

I had a cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received on an hostbill function to self unblock hosting client on a remote server (CSF Unblocker from client area).

In my case the error was not NL related, but conseguent to any CC_DENY value entered :(