cron.d file names illegal?

DavidRahrer

cron.d file names illegal?

Post by DavidRahrer »

Forgive me if this is not a bug. I can't find any prior mention of it. I am running CSF on Ubuntu 14.04 and using the Webmin plugin. My concern is about the two files that CSF's install-dot-sh placed in /etc/cron.d, i.e. csfcron-dot-sh and lfdcron-dot-sh. According to the MAN page, these files aren't supposed to have any "." (dots) in the name. I mention it because I've had plenty of issues with this and it struck me as odd to see these.

From the cron MAN page section on cron.d:
Files must conform to the same naming convention as used by run-parts(8): they must consist solely of upper- and lower-case letters, digits, underscores, and hyphens.
I don't think the same restriction exists on Red Hat/CentOS, etc. While I can't imagine you haven't already come across this, I am confused about the apparent conflict. Thanks.

Note: I apologize for lack of reference URL and all the -dot- nonsense, but the forum won't let me post links :(
ForumAdmin

Re: cron.d file names illegal?

Post by ForumAdmin »

This will be resolved in the next version of csf. The problem is that Unbuntu is using a non-LSB compliant cron manager configuration by default (unless explicitly configured as such).