Add message in interface re pure-FTP and VPS

xmanflash

Add message in interface re pure-FTP and VPS

Post by xmanflash »

Can a warning be added in the interface regarding the "FTP not working on a VPS until port changes are made' on a new install of CSF..

It seems this catches quite a few people out..

I had CSF installed on a new VPS server and this bit was not done, which caused me and my clients a couple of days of angst wondering why I could ftp in, and my clients could not (as I had my IP address in the exempt list ..)

Its not something I would have expected to need to diagnose myself, but a warning on the interface and link to the article in the faq would have made life a lot easier.

Of course this request is predicated on the assumption that it is possible to detect a server is:
A. Running on a VPS
B. Has FTP ports setup in pure-FTP (30000:35000)
C. Has matching ports setup for TCP-IN in CSF

Over to Chirpy :-)
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

I'll see if I can put a warning in somewhere when on a VPS - it's a shame that Parallels won't simply fix the bug in their kernels. The main issue is establishing those 3 criteria.
xmanflash

Post by xmanflash »

I have just discovered something that makes it almost imperative to do this!

After following the CSF read.me (part 13), and having 2 days of trouble free FTP, it all stopped again.

I discovered that the custom setting in/etc/pure-ftpd.conf is removed when cPanel updates PureFTP.

Which means any FTP transactions instantiated above 35000 will be stopped by CSF, so its possibly an intermittent error.

Default setting:
PassivePortRange 30001 65535

New setting for CSF:
PassivePortRange 30001 35000

So a warning message in the CSF admin screen (in red, at the top, with blink tags) would be really really helpful, as PureFTP can be updated without any user knowledge..

Might you also this add this extra info (re purFTP updates) to the CSF readme and FAQ?

Thanks !!
xmanflash

Post by xmanflash »

Just wanted to say a big "Thanks" for adding this feature so quickly!

I haven't seen the error message yet, but am almost looking forward to it! (perverse huh!)