lfd daemon does not seem to do Connection Tracking at CT_LIMIT specified interval

This forum is only for reproducible bugs with csf and lfd (i.e. not iptables problems, lack of understanding how to use a feature, etc). Posts must be accompanied with full technical details of the problem and how it can be recreated. Any posts not adhering to this, or not considered bugs, will be moved to the General Discussion (csf) forum.
pill

lfd daemon does not seem to do Connection Tracking at CT_LIMIT specified interval

Post by pill »

Hello,

first of all, thank you for this great software.

I am running csf+lfd in production environment and I am overall very happy with it. It is easy to manage while powerful enough to supposedly do what I need.

I installed it to prevent SYN_RECV floooding at first, and it does the job.

But with the public release of slowloris, I see an increase in attempts to DoS my sites.

I decided to add the state ESTABLISHED to the CT_STATES value (previously just SYN_RECV) and have a friend test slowloris on me.

On 2 of my servers, I see the block in lfd.log less than a minute after the start of the attack, but on my third one, it does not seem to trigger, at all.

the process is sleeping, I see it block IPs from time to time, but no matter what, it won't see/block my friend, at least not in the delay that i ask it to. And considering apache dies in like 3 minutes max, I need it to trigger fast.

I am sure that the threshold is reached by running:

netstat -an | grep ESTABLISHED | grep xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa | wc -l

I see the number growing until it takes up all the slots and apache dies.

The 3 servers are running 4.75, debian lenny 5.0.2, they are quasi-identical (only CPU and RAM change). Ironically the one that fails is the big one, with 8 CPUs and 8 GBs of RAM.

Is there anything I could look into, in order to see why it fails to trigger?

-pill
ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin »

If you replace /etc/csf/lfd.pl with the attached script and then in /etc/csf/csf.conf set:

DEBUG = "4"

Then restart lfd just before you try the test, then lfd will log a great deal of information about what it is doing, including CT debug code. If a CT debug line ends in "count:[N]" then the previous logged line is counted toward CT_LIMIT, otherwise the connection was disgarded. You may have to wade through quite a lot of information in the log.

When you've finished testing, set DEBUG back to 0 and restart lfd.
Marie

Post by Marie »

Same issue here. LFD does trigger but seems to be thinking that the IPs are already blocked - which they are not :

Jul 29 01:45:49 host lfd[7255]: debug: (CT) IP 88.2.194.140 found to have 112 connections - IP already blocked
Jul 29 01:45:49 host lfd[7255]: debug: (CT) IP 68.119.58.248 found to have 123 connections - IP already blocked
Jul 29 01:45:49 host lfd[7255]: debug: (CT) IP 189.162.215.82 found to have 218 connections - IP already blocked

[01:45:48] root@host [~/csf]# csf -g 88.2.194.140

Chain num pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
No matches found for 88.2.194.140 in iptables
[01:46:25] root@host [~/csf]# csf -g 68.119.58.248

No matches found for 68.119.58.248 in iptables
[01:47:05] root@host [~/csf]# csf -g 189.162.215.82

No matches found for 189.162.215.82 in iptables

Any idea ?

Thank you :)
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

Marie wrote:Same issue here.
That is a different issue to this thread topic.