Webmin/CSF IP Deny doesn't work.

This forum is only for reproducible bugs with csf and lfd (i.e. not iptables problems, lack of understanding how to use a feature, etc). Posts must be accompanied with full technical details of the problem and how it can be recreated. Any posts not adhering to this, or not considered bugs, will be moved to the General Discussion (csf) forum.
Wraith86

Webmin/CSF IP Deny doesn't work.

Post by Wraith86 »

Hi, I have found a unique problem within Webmin version 1.480 and CSF 4.75 on Firefox 3.0.11. I had a staff member block themselves and their IP address was entered into the Firewall IP Deny list on Webmin. When I removed the entry and restarted CSF/LFD I found that it did not save my changes. It required me to manually edit the csf.deny file and remove the IP address.
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

I'll see if I can recreate the problem.
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

I'll see if I can recreate the problem. Can you confirm whether editing any of the deny or ignore files works or if they all fail?
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

I was unable to recreate the problem using Webmin v1.450 and csf v4.76 as I was able to successfulyl edit csf.deny through the csf Webmin UI.
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

I was also unable to recreate a problem using Webmin v1.480
Wraith86

Working now....sih

Post by Wraith86 »

Since upgrading to 4.76 I no longer seem to have the issue. I can add and remove IP address from the firewall DENY IPs. One interesting thing I have found is that it works fine on one server, but not on another even though they are both running the same version of webmin/csf! Each time I remove the IP address that I just added in the csf.deny file through webmin and restart, it reappears a few lines down. Is there any more information I can give you help?
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

Are you sure that the IP simply isn't being blocked again?
Wraith86

Post by Wraith86 »

Yes positive. The user the IP address belonged to wasn't in the office that day. I just thought it was strange. Also I receive email notification when an IP address has been blocked.
Infopro

Post by Infopro »

Wraith86 wrote:Hi, I have found a unique problem within Webmin version 1.480 and CSF 4.75 on Firefox 3.0.11. I had a staff member block themselves and their IP address was entered into the Firewall IP Deny list on Webmin. When I removed the entry and restarted CSF/LFD I found that it did not save my changes. It required me to manually edit the csf.deny file and remove the IP address.
Sorry, chirpy, I understand this is an old thread but I've just come across this same problem myself.

I can add an IP using Quick Deny or Allow as expected, it'll write to the file.
I can edit Allow IPs list, save and restart and changes to that file take, as expected.

But, if I open csf.deny via Deny IPs button, remove a blocked IP, hit change, hit restart, and then check the csf.deny again the entry is still listed. Permission and Owner appear to be correct.

CSF v5.00 | WebMin 1.510
ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin »

Does the date/time change on /etc/csf/csf.deny or does it remain the same (i.e. is it rewriting the file with the same data or does it seem to fail to update the file at all)?