disable rule not work

These forums are not for questions about ModSecurity, just the cmc script itself
martincsf

Re: disable rule not work

Post by martincsf »

Hello,
Ok, cpanel rules are not the best ones, you should consider using a better set of rules.

In the mean time, just disable the rule that is causing you the error and you are all set.
I would like to use a set of rules. How can I begin? What kind of set of rules can I test?

I found this on internet:
http://spiderlabs.github.io/owasp-modsecurity-crs/

But it seems too much to begin with no?

Do you know a good simple set of rules to begin?

Martin
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

There is no "simple set of rules" for mod_security.

I you don't want your server to be fully protected by mod_security, continue using the simple ones that comes standard from cPanel.

It is a big risk not to use a good set of mod_security rules and the best ones are payed, in my case I use Atomicorps where I am an authorized reseller.

Spiderlabs are a free set of rules and I have not tried them, but I think they are better than the ones that comes with cPanel.
martincsf

Post by martincsf »

I you don't want your server to be fully protected by mod_security, continue using the simple ones that comes standard from cPanel.
I would like to use a good set of rules :cool:
I just don't know how to approach the big thing because if I put all the rules and I don't know what they do, it's not good.
I would be sure rules don't block some research bots or block some real scripts.

When I download the package of OWASP, I find lot of file conf.
modsecurity_35_bad_robots.data
modsecurity_35_scanners.data
modsecurity_40_generic_attacks.data
modsecurity_crs_60_correlation.conf

In CMC interface, I see "Edit files containing ModSecurity configuration settings in /usr/local/apache/conf/"
If I put the files, I will be able to edit them via CMC?

Where can I add all these files?
Here: /usr/local/apache/conf/ ?
If I use a server cpanel, the place to put those files is somewhere else or the same?

AND do I need to install other things than those files if I use CMC?

Martin