WHM Account Restore High Load issue with cxs

Community forum to discuss cxs.
If you believe that there is a problem with your cxs installation and want support then, as a paid product, you should use the helpdesk after having consulted the documentation.
sneader

WHM Account Restore High Load issue with cxs

Post by sneader »

I have a customer with a 6GB cpanel account that I have had to restore a few times recently. Both times, the server nearly crashed, as the load approached 120! On the 3rd restore, I finally figured out what the problem... it was cxs scanning all the files being restored!

To solve the problem I did the following:
  • Went to Service Monitor in WHM and temporarily disabled "monitoring" of cxswatch.
  • Went to the cxswatch area in WHM and clicked "stop cxswatch"
  • Performed the Restore (I'm using Legacy Restore)
  • After the Restore is completed, I went back to Service Monitor in WHM and re-enabled "monitoring" of cxswatch. This will restart cxswatch.
I don't know if there is anything that can be done in CXS to prevent the server from crashing like this during a legacy backup restore... or maybe this issue is resolved if I were to move to the new cPanel backup system (and not use legacy?)

Anyway, just a data point for anyone that might be seeing the same problem.

- Scott
ForumAdmin

Re: WHM Account Restore High Load issue with cxs

Post by ForumAdmin »

You've done the right thing. Doing a 6GB restore means that cxs has to scan all of that data which is going to cause problems. It does make sense to disable cxs Watch for the duration of the restore.