Unable to start cxs Watch daemon

Community forum to discuss cxs.
If you believe that there is a problem with your cxs installation and want support then, as a paid product, you should use the helpdesk after having consulted the documentation.
virtuali

Unable to start cxs Watch daemon

Post by virtuali »

I keep getting this error when trying to start the daemon.. I have tried all the fixes on the net and in here.. but I still cant get that value to change.. I am using centos5...

Unable to start cxs Watch daemon: /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches is set too low [currently:8192]

I have tried changing the value via fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 65536 but I still get the above error...

Anybody have an idea how to fix this..?????
ciwguru

Re: Unable to start cxs Watch daemon

Post by ciwguru »

This can't be a coincidence, since I have the exact same problem

Unable to start cxs Watch daemon: /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches is set too low [currently:8192]

How do I get the ConfigServer eXploit Scanner enabled since it will not start.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

The reason you are getting that error is that you are running cxs on a Virtuozzo VPS. You will have to get your VPS provider to increase the max_user_watches, it is not possible as the VPS user to do this. If they are not willing to increase that number for you, you will not be able to run cxs watch.

You can determine the approximate number that /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches should be set to by running this command (all one line):

Code: Select all

find /home/ -type d | grep -v "/\." | grep -v /home/cpeasyapache | grep -v /home/cprestore | grep -v /home/backup| grep -v cpmove- | wc -l
Edit: You should add 50% to the number you get from the above command, to allow room for growth and the fact that the number obtained is only an approximation.
virtuali

Post by virtuali »

what is the alternative if cxs watch cant be run..?? Is there another option..??
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

You can use ftp and web script upload scanning as per the instructions, as well as manual and scheduled scans.

Regards,
Sarah
staff_tech

Post by staff_tech »

How to increase max_user_watches from main node?
virtuali

Post by virtuali »

Hi Sarah,

I am trying to use the alternative method above... but I am hitting a snag... it seems my pureftp is not compiled with the CallUploadScript option...

Do you know how this would be done on Centos5 with pureftp??

Thank you..
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

If it is a cPanel server, which is the only type of server currently supported for cxs, then pureftpd should already be compiled with the required options. If it's not a cPanel server, then I'm afraid we can't really help.
virtuali

Post by virtuali »

It is a whm/cpanel server... on Centos 5.. The reason I think it isnt compliled with it is because as soon as I uncomment the uploadscript option in the config file the restart fails...
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

What command are you using for the restart? It should be:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/pure-uploadscript restart