Unable to start cxs Watch daemon

Community forum to discuss cxs.
If you believe that there is a problem with your cxs installation and want support then, as a paid product, you should use the helpdesk after having consulted the documentation.
virtuali

Re: Unable to start cxs Watch daemon

Post by virtuali »

Was just doing it from WHM... which is to restart pureftp.... The command you have above is for the script itself...

/etc/init.d/pure-uploadscript restart

When I uncomment CallUploadScript, pureftp itself fails on the restart... not the script....
virtuali

Post by virtuali »

pureftp itself fails after I uncomment CallUploadScript ... the command above is for the pure-uploadscript restart no..???
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

The command I gave you restarts both pureftpd and the uploadscript. It's the one you must use to correctly restart pureftpd and the upload script to get it working.
virtuali

Post by virtuali »

Ok... I will try it again and see what happens... its strange that the restart from WHM fails..??
virtuali

Post by virtuali »

Ok.. seems to be working.. I uploaded the test scripts and it removed the perl script.... one more question.. if I have clamav scanner installed via WHM do I still need to install the Unofficial ClamAV Virus Databases via the documention info..?? Is there any difference between the two..??
kravok

Post by kravok »

Hey,
Would someone be able to explain to me how to change the max_user_watches value from the provider side. I have a VPS setup on my box which i have full access to.

Thanks.
supporttech

Post by supporttech »

Hello,

I am facing the same problem. On VPS,

Unable to start cxs Watch daemon: /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches is set too low [currently:8192]. You need to have your VPS provider increase this value.

when I checked from root for /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches it do not let me edit the file .

WARNING: The file has been changed since reading it!!!
Do you really want to write to it (y/n)?y
"/proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches" E667: Fsync failed
WARNING: Original file may be lost or damaged
don't quit the editor until the file is successfully written!
Press ENTER or type command to continue

and it won't allow me to change any thing. File permissions look correct. Is that because of upgrade the CSX ? As this problem has start after upgrade the csx to latest upgrade.

please advice.

Thanks
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

It's not a new problem in cxs, it most likely never worked but was not reported before, or perhaps you were below the threshold previously. As the error states, you need to get your server provider to increase the value of /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches.
ryanchamberlin

Post by ryanchamberlin »

Does anyone have any sane values for max_user_watches?
There isn't a whole lot of information about it on the web regarding limits and effects.
The default is 8192 but I have mine set to 256000 and I still get cxs failing.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

ryanchamberlin wrote:Does anyone have any sane values for max_user_watches?
There isn't a whole lot of information about it on the web regarding limits and effects.
The default is 8192 but I have mine set to 256000 and I still get cxs failing.
You can use this command to find out the minimum number for your server. It may take a while to run, especially if there are a lot of accounts/files on the server. The command should be all on one line.

Code: Select all

find /home/ -type d | grep -v "/\." | grep -v /home/cpeasyapache | grep -v /home/cprestore | grep -v /home/backup| grep -v cpmove- | wc -l
We would recommend adding a decent cushion to that number to allow for new accounts or increased number of files/directories.

Regards,
Sarah