MailControl BUG REPORT: Release (resend)

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
hilario

MailControl BUG REPORT: Release (resend)

Post by hilario »

First of all, I apologize if this is not the right place to report bugs. Please move the post to the correct location.

This bug is reported based on "end user observation", comparison with Mailwatch behavior and interpretation.
Thus, in second place I apologize if my report proves to be an error from my side.

The report:
Using MailControl select a spam, select an recipient, for example spam@mydomain.com and click the resend button.
In this case, MailWatch and MailControl Shows the mail as having being sent.

However, if in fact it was sent at all, then I believe that MailControl broke the normal path and sent the mail directly to the second exim instance instead of the (IMHO correct) standard path "Client=>Exim on ports 25/465/587 => Second Exim instance.

MailWatch is functioning OK as always.

The behavior of MailControl breaks an script I run in my server to collect and analyze the manually released spam/not spam mails.
This non conformity renders MailControl useless in our case. If Mailwatch is shut down, I may be forced to uninstall MSFE.
ForumAdmin

Re: MailControl BUG REPORT: Release (resend)

Post by ForumAdmin »

It's not a bug, MailControl resends the email by passing it back through exim after changing the recipient headers using the standard "exim -ti" command. If you want to have the email delivered via localhost you would need to use the Release (forward) option.
ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin »

We aren't going to change the delivery method, but if it would help your script we could add a custom header record that identifies resent spam messages, eg:

Code: Select all

X-MailControl: Resent Spam
hilario

Post by hilario »

ForumAdmin wrote:If you want to have the email delivered via localhost you would need to use the Release (forward) option.
I tried the forward button and it works different from the resend button.
It sent the mails in a standard way (from my point of view) and this is good because my script did detect it successfully. Please keep this button working this way.

Of course, as you perceived, I had not previously tested the forward button. That was because I misunderstood the explanation regarding the function of both buttons.
So I kindly propose the following texts instead:

Original text is:
The 'Release (resend)' option will modify the email headers to resend to the To: recipient set here
To leave the original headers unchanged, use the (forward) option instead.

Proposed:
The mail will be released not to the original senders, but to the recipients listed in the "TO" field box above. Use coma separated for multiple recipients.
The 'Release (resend)' option will modify the email headers before resending.
The 'Release (forward)' option will leave the original headers unchanged,

This is just my two cents, not a request, you may disregard it.

Thanks for the help