Block ALL TLD's consisting of 4 or more letters

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
FnF Host

Re: Block ALL TLD's consisting of 4 or more letters

Post by FnF Host »

I just cannot seem to get it. When I get it to block them, Mailscanner deletes it upon updating.
When I get it so that it wont be deleted, it no longer blocks the TLD's.
I was hoping that by sharing this, someone some where on the forum would have some interest in it also and we could come up with a solution, but it doesnt seem to be going anywhere, and I cannot figure it out.
I guess we either need to add these TLD's to our spam blackist one at a time or block them via exim. The poor spam blacklist will be four pages long lol :o
sawbuck

Post by sawbuck »

We've been using the spam blacklist for some time with decent results. Pain the a** all of it.

You might try the MS mailing list as there are several very knowledgeable and helpful people including the maintainer of MS who took over for Julian the original developer.

http://lists.mailscanner.info/listinfo/mailscanner
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

The problem is that the MailScanner Front-End was not designed to allow direct editing of the rules files such as spam.blacklist.rules, nor for the use of regular expressions in the front-end interface itself. To block the type and number of domains you are talking about we really would recommend using some kind of filter in exim itself rather than mailscanner. Much more efficient.

Regards,
Sarah
sawbuck

Post by sawbuck »

Sarah wrote:The problem is that the MailScanner Front-End was not designed to allow direct editing of the rules files such as spam.blacklist.rules, nor for the use of regular expressions in the front-end interface itself. To block the type and number of domains you are talking about we really would recommend using some kind of filter in exim itself rather than mailscanner. Much more efficient.

Regards,
Sarah
Okay, but MS blocking in spite of no direct editing is and has been working well.

Can you comment on whether implementing these instructions (http://getsomeoverdose.blogspot.com/p/e ... m-and.html) will conflict with MS installations?

Thanks Sarah.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Should be okay, but you would need to use a custum filter file called /etc/antivirus.empty as that is what MailScanner will always set that custom system filter file to in the exim configuration.
circusplexus

Post by circusplexus »

This would be great to know. I too, have resorted to blocking these tlds through msfe. It's working, but as you say new ones crop up and it's hard to keep up. Using MailWatch helps as I can see them flood in, but then I have to manually add them to multiple servers.