Whitelisted domain still marked {SPAM?}

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
Metro2

Whitelisted domain still marked {SPAM?}

Post by Metro2 »

There is a company I do business with every day, and just recently their email messages started coming in marked as {SPAM?}

Let's just say their domain is example.com

Well just recently about 50% of the email messages coming in to me (and users on my servers) are being tagged {SPAM?}

While that isn't too unusual if the company example.com is a big business and has a lot of ignorant recipient clicking the "spam" button when they receive a message from them...

THE ODD thing is this - I have *@example.com Whitelisted in my MSFE.

Perhaps I just need a slap upside the head to remind me of what could defy the laws of MSFE, or maybe just a refresher, but I can't understand how the messages from @example.com are getting tagged as spam if I have *@example.com Whitelisted in MSFE.

Can someone please help me pull my head out of the sand and understand why this is happening?

Thanks for any opinions / feedback!
Linuxlover

Re: Whitelisted domain still marked {SPAM?}

Post by Linuxlover »

Hello,

If you added the domain through your MSFE interface the first thing you should check is the ruleset file in "/us/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules" check whether the domain is correctly listed there it should have a format like
To: *@example..com and From: someone@example..com yes
Also check if the email whas actually send from the whitelisted address to the domain in question.The from header is not always 100% accurate check the envelope-from header as well

if you make any changes to mailscanner files you need to run Service MailScanner restart.

offcource you only need 1 dot in domainnames but there seems to be a verry annoying spam detector active here can't even try to help people ....
Metro2

Post by Metro2 »

Thank you for the helpful information Linuxlover, I appreciate the response.

I've even tried this basically wide-open setting:

To: *@* and From: *@example.com yes

And even with that in place, sometimes the messages are still marked as spam. A bit of a conundrum eh? :confused:
Linuxlover

Post by Linuxlover »

Also look at any other rules in the whitelist that might be interfering. In Mailwatch mails from whitelisted stuff should have a green background otherwise something is wrong.