reject at smtp time

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
keat63

reject at smtp time

Post by keat63 »

Is it possible to have MSFE reject emails at smtp time if they are classed as a high scoring spam ?

I can only see, deliver, delete or forward.

If not, is this something worthy of consideration for a future release ?
Sarah

Re: reject at smtp time

Post by Sarah »

That is not possible, as Mailscanner does not have access to the mail at smtp time and will not have given it a spam score at that point. Exim receives the mail, passes it to MailScanner, and then after scanning MailScanner passes it back to another exim process for delivery unless it is configured to delete the mail based on the score.
keat63

Post by keat63 »

understood.
idratis3

Post by idratis3 »

Reject at SMTP time is handled by exim (or other MTA) and could be handled by exim (and is already done based for example on malformed SMTP-protocols etc), but can only be done based on information that is already known at the SMTP stage, but would limit the possibilities apart from very glaring cases of blacklisted IP etc.
My personal opinion : as sender will be aware of rejection at SMTP-time (the rejection will be visible in the log of the sending mailserver), if he/she is is a pro-spammer he/she will try to bypass the rule next time.
So maybe better not to inform them that he has been rejected but better leave him in the illusion that his spam has arrived ... (but quarantine, delete or tag it as spam later as configured via MS-FE)
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

If you are using cPanel/WHM you can add domains to the "Filter Incoming Emails by Domain" as this filter is at EXIM stage.

You can add in there any domain you want and you can use wildcards like per example:
*.acems1.com

or blocking domain extensions, per example
*.tk

or just a plain domain without wildcards:
bloodsugar.bar

What I like about this, is that customers can check if an email was blocked just looking into the cPanel item "Track Delivery".

Sergio