spam.whitelist.rules changes wiped out

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
6 posts Page 1 of 1
barrysmoke

Where do the spam.whitelist.rules get built from, and how can I make my changes permanent? I've checked every domain/whm user's cpanel mailscanner whitelist settings, so I know the rules are not coming from the user whitelists.

I thought it might be the cron job rebuilding the spam.whitelist.rules file, but I commented it out, and my changes stayed in place until I went to the front end, mailcontrol, and whitelisted another address...and the file got rebuilt.. there are a lot of old entries popping in when its rebuilt,, so I have to fix this.
Thanks for your help
ashburtononline

I have this exact same issue ....

any changes I make to /usr/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules or to /usr/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.blacklist.rules are deleted after a time .... sometimes a few hours and sometimes a day or two?

Please help someone?
ashburtononline

I'm deleting some lines and adding in ..

To: *@* and From: *@*.art yes
To: *@* and From: *@*.icu yes

after a time, the deleted lines return and the added lines are removed?
dohm

I'm having pretty much the same issue.

I analyzed the script msbe.pl ( in /usr/mscpanel ) and found that the whitelist is based on a pre-made whitelist found in /usr/mscpanel/spam.whitelist.rules

I haven't found where this base list is created but according to the creation date, it's populated from cpanel's localdomains list whenever an account is added / removed and probably when an account's MSFE settings are changed.

In my case, I struggle with spam from user's own domain. For some reason, it's been decided that every incoming mail claiming to come from a local domain should be whitelisted so the spam comes in however high the spam score is.

I tried to set "no" in spam.whitetelist.rules with no luck because it's being rewritten once in a while. I tried by modifying that base list I've found. Will post back with results here.

In your case, you should try editing the list via the UI (in WHM, plugins -> ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End -> Front-End Settings button and add your custom rules.
ashburtononline

Thank You dohm. I had discovered that the changes tried above stayed correct until I either whitelisted or blacklisted a domain. This then caused the file to be regenerated from the list in WHM, plugins -> ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End -> Front-End Settings button and add your custom rules..

I have added my rules in there and all is good!

Thanks again :)
barrysmoke

dohm, that is exactly what is happening to us. spam coming in on the domain, which is whitelisted if processed with the whitelisted domain deleted, gets marked as spam properly. but any time we change a rule, or if a couple of days go by, the whitelisted domains come back. I think whitelisting the domains needs to go away. since I'm not adding rules, editing front-end settings button doesn't help us.
any reccomendations?
6 posts Page 1 of 1