Why MailScanner is saving quarantines?

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
Sergio

Why MailScanner is saving quarantines?

Post by Sergio »

Hi, Sarah.
I don't want to save any files on the quarantine, I had never before enabled that option and now MailControl even that I have not enabled the "Save Messages" is saving them. Why?

Right now my /var partition is getting out of space and just the /quarantine directory is using 9.0 GB
9.0G /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine

Nine GB of wasted space, that is a lot; any way I have set to 1 day in MailControl.

What is the best way around to delete all those files saved in there?
May I can just delete all the sub directories inside /quarantine?

Sergio
Sarah

Re: Why MailScanner is saving quarantines?

Post by Sarah »

If you don't want MailScanner to save a copy of emails in quarantine, go to WHM > ConfigServer MailScanner FE > MailScanner Performance and click Disable Store Messages.

If you want it to keep storing messages but for a different number of days, go to WHM > ConfigServer MailScanner FE > MailControl > Menu - MailControl Settings and change the setting for "Keep x days of Stored Messages (quarantine)".
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Hi Sarah, that's the point. I can't disable Store Messages because it is not enabled and even that is not enabled it is saving emails in quarantine.

Regards,
Sergio
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Could you please log a ticket on the helpdesk, as we may need to take a look at the server to figure this out.
https://support.configserver.com/
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Hi, Sarah.

Sorry to bother you with this, but my /var partition free space went to a critical size and checking why was that, I saw that /MailScanner/quarantine folder was full of 7 days of mails saved there. With MailWatch I always had that option disabled and never had any issues with /var.

Yesterday I did what you suggested, I set quarantine to 1 day, and it has deleted 5 of the 7 days, so, right now I have 2 days of quarantine even that I set to just 1. I will wait until tomorrow to see if CRON deletes those folders.

Also, yesterday, I modified MailScanner config on the following lines:
Quarantine Infections =​ no​
Quarantine Silent Viruses​ = no​
Quarantine Modified Body =​ no​
Quarantine Whole Message =​ no​
Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files =​ no

Also, I modified:
Maximum Attachment Size =​ 20000000​

It seems that the change from MailWatch to MailControl moved those options to the default settings. Today MailScanner has stopped saving emails in the quarantine.

Right now everything is working as it was before, I will just wait for the CRON to clean the debris.

Best Regards,
Sergio