All email from WordPress sites marked as spam

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
Metro2

All email from WordPress sites marked as spam

Post by Metro2 »

About 70% of my customers on my small shared hosting service have WordPress installed, and Mailscanner seems to mark all messages from WordPress sites as spam. Whether it's via a contact form on the sites, or even just the automated notifications from WP (such as password change alerts, new user registration alerts, etc...) they all get marked as spam by Mailscanner.

Naturally this turns into support tickets from my users asking why their WP emails are getting tagged.

Can someone please provide any tips / tricks / advice that might help me resolve this?

I appreciate any response at all. Thank you!
Sarah

Re: All email from WordPress sites marked as spam

Post by Sarah »

You need to look at the spamassassin report in the mail headers to determine why spamassassin has identified them as spam (presuming it is the SA score and not an RBL you are using in MailScanner), and then correct those issues. This FAQ may help:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=52

Regards,
Sarah
Metro2

Post by Metro2 »

Thank you for the reply and for the tip Sarah. Example in point - one of my users registered an admin account for me on his WordPress yesterday, and the message came through to me tagged as spam. This is on a brand new server that I just recently purchased the CP+MS package for from you a couple months ago, and indeed when I check the message in Mailwatch it has the red "Y" next to SpamAssassin Spam and the two biggest scores are:

5.00 BAYES_99 Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
1.00 BAYES_999 Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%

I might try rm -Rvf /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin but I did notice something else that might have to do with this.

Among the two servers that I just recently purchased the CP+MS package for, in WHM > Service Configuration > Exim Configuration Manager > Enable the Apache SpamAssassin ruleset that cPanel uses on cpanel.net - on one of them it is Disabled, and on the other (the one that marked the WordPress registration I mentioned above as spam) it is Enabled.

Which should it be?

Should "Enable the Apache SpamAssassin ruleset that cPanel uses on cpanel.net" be set Disabled or Enabled?

Thank you! :)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I don't think enabling or disabling that option would have any effect on the issue you are seeing.
It looks like bayes database poisoning or some other issue with bayes, so I would suggest removing the bayes database and starting over.

Regards,
Sarah
Metro2

Post by Metro2 »

Thanks for the reply! I'm following your advice and will see how things go over time. Will report back here with any helpful info just in case anyone else runs into the same thing.