Mailscanner failed to start during Cpanel »Service Configuration »Service Manager update

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
hilario

Mailscanner failed to start during Cpanel »Service Configuration »Service Manager update

Post by hilario »

I need your help:

I was updating other srvices in "cPanel Service Manager" and when I clicked "Save" I got the failure described bellow.

It appears to be a Mailscanner bug.

Please help

Regards,

Hilário

Waiting for “mailscanner” to restart ………………………………………waiting for “mailscanner” to initialize ………………………………
…finished.

Service Status
Checking MailScanner daemons:

The service “mailscanner” failed to start with the message: Checking MailScanner daemons:

Log Messages
Oct 8 12:05:19 beta MailScanner: MailScanner setting UID to mailnull (47)
Oct 8 12:05:19 beta MailScanner: MailScanner setting GID to mail (12)
Oct 8 12:05:27 beta MailScanner: Using locktype = posix
Oct 8 12:05:27 beta MailScanner: Found 0 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
Oct 8 12:05:27 beta MailScanner: Connected to Processing Attempts Database
Oct 8 12:05:25 beta MailScanner: Connected to SpamAssassin cache database

mailscanner has failed. Please contact your system administrator if the service does not automagically recover.
The “p0f-cpanelsync” service is not a known service. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Exception.pm line 156. Cpanel::Exception::new("Cpanel::Exception::Services::Unknown", HASH(0x2323a50)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Exception.pm line 57 Cpanel::Exception::create("Services::Unknown", HASH(0x2323a50)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv line 461 Scripts::restartsrv::_lookup_service_restart_info(Scripts::restartsrv=HASH(0x1bebdb8), "p0f-cpanelsync") called at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv line 94 Scripts::restartsrv::script("Scripts::restartsrv", "--html", "--wait", "--verbose", "p0f-cpanelsync") called at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv line 40
Waiting for “dovecot” to restart ………waiting for “dovecot” to initialize ……
…finished.
Sarah

Re: Mailscanner failed to start during Cpanel »Service Configuration »Service Manager update

Post by Sarah »

This could be a spurious error. Check your maillog (/var/log/maillog) and ps axf to see if MailScanner is actually running. If it is, you can ignore the error.

Regards,
Sarah
hilario

Re: Mailscanner failed to start during Cpanel »Service Configuration »Service Manager update

Post by hilario »

It appears to be running, but I can't be sure if it is ok or not.

The problem always occurs when I press the save button on Cpanel »Service Configuration »Service Manager update.

My machine is a CENTOS 6.7 x86_64 xenhvm WHM 11.50.2 (build 2)

Additional services "Enabled" and "Monitor" are turned ON for mailscanner. Is this correct?

Does the same error happen with your server? Is this a bug?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Yes, the errors appear on our servers as well. It appears to be a feature of the way cPanel chkservd checks and/or detects processes. It's nothing to worry about.
hilario

Post by hilario »

Thanks Sarah.