Days to keep quarantine

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
GrandAdmiral

Days to keep quarantine

Post by GrandAdmiral »

Hi All

I'm a great fan of Mailscanner but I'm having a minor inconvenience at the moment. I've been quarantining a copy of all mail and manually retraining the spam filter but I've noticed that only 7 days of quarantine is kept. I am aware of the cleaning cron job but it appears to be disabled, I have also altered the days to keep setting there with no effect. I've looked through several of the configuration files but I can't see any other relevant setting.

Any ideas?
sawbuck

Re: Days to keep quarantine

Post by sawbuck »

When MS is updated it reverts the quarantine time frame to 7 days.

The solution originally provided to us by Sarah of ConfigServer is to delete the symlink in /etc/cron.daily that points to /usr/mailscanner/bin/cron/clean.quarantine.cron. Then copy the clean.quarntine.cron script to /etc/cron.daily and set the retention period via the "days_to_keep" directive to your preferred value.

Now when MS is updated the retention period will remain unchanged. Obviously on a system with high email volume the quarantine db can become quite large.
GrandAdmiral

Re: Days to keep quarantine

Post by GrandAdmiral »

Thanks sawbuck, turns out I was reading the job configuration wrong (it was active) but that tip just saved me a heap of time figuring out why the change wouldn't stick!