Why so many access to README from MailScanner?

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
Sergio

Why so many access to README from MailScanner?

Post by Sergio »

Hi Sarah,
wondering if you know why MailScanner does thousands of access to a README file (every 5 seconds), like this (just a few lines from the log):
Nov 13 22:44:00 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Nov 13 22:44:00 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
Nov 13 22:44:05 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Nov 13 22:44:05 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
Nov 13 22:44:10 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Nov 13 22:44:10 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
Nov 13 22:44:15 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Nov 13 22:44:15 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
Nov 13 22:44:20 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Nov 13 22:44:20 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
Nov 13 22:44:25 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Nov 13 22:44:25 server1 MailScanner: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
I have checked 4 of my servers and all of them shows the same.

Is there a way to stop this if I don't use the README at all? I think that is a lot of useless work for the CPU.

Regards,

Sergio
Sarah

Re: Why so many access to README from MailScanner?

Post by Sarah »

MailScanner reads those files whenever it restarts. I do not know of a way to stop it from doing so. The problem is that MS is restarting so frequently on your server, that does not look right at all. Either you have many child processes running or there is a problem with MailScanner starting up.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Hi Sarah, thanks for answering back.

You know, on the last 30 days or so, ConfigServer had setup MailScanner on two of my servers, I have not touched anything on them, except automatic upgrades, and they also shows the same.

I think, everybody could check on this just doing the following:
1. Enter into CSF GUI.
2. Go to SEARCH SYSTEM LOGS and select Maillog.
3. Do a search for the word "mailscanner" using DETACH, you will see a long list of this.

I am using on all my servers:
MailScanner - v4.84.5 installed
ConfigServer MailScanner Script - v2.92 installed and up to date
ClamAV - v0.98.4 installed and up to date

Unfortunately, I didn't check about this on previous versions.

What else could generate a restart every 5 minutes? a cron may be?

Regards,
Sergio
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

We certainly would not configure mailscanner to restart so frequently. I have checked on our servers and the restarts occur every two hours regularly, but occasionally for a short period there are more frequent restarts. I would suggest tailing the maillog to see if you can see any reason for the restarts. You should also check how many mailscanner processes are running. It may be that this number was increased on your servers if there are an excessive number of accounts and therefore high mail traffic.

If you want us to take a look please submit a ticket on the helpdesk with login details for a server where this is occurring.

Regards,
Sarah
sawbuck

Post by sawbuck »

I'm seeing those entries but at the most 7 or 8 times a day.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Thank you, Sarah.

I will open the ticket, thanks.

Sergio