Many spam passing through the mailscanner

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
oxynet

Many spam passing through the mailscanner

Post by oxynet »

Hello guys, i´m having problems, many of the spam are passing through, like bank emails with links to virus, and many other, but email like from paypal, and other emails are arriving marked as {Spam?} or {Disarmed}, emails that we always get with the other anti spam for Plesk. How can i fix this issue, my boss is asking me about this everyday because he continue getting the SPAM as when we are working only with the Spamassassin from cPanel then now.

Thanks a lot.
Sarah

Re: Many spam passing through the mailscanner

Post by Sarah »

It's not really possible to give a definitive answer for such a general question. Basically you're saying that it does not seem that MailScanner is correctly identifying certain emails, is that right? And that you were having similar problems when you were only using SpamAssassin before MailScanner was installed? This is not too surprising since MailScanner uses SpamAssassin as the main tool for identifying spam.

You will need to look at each of them individually to determine why the email marked as spam or not spam. Most of these will be the result of spamassassin rules. Please see this FAQ for help in troubleshooting false positives:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=52

As for the disarmed tag, please see this FAQ:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=22

For false negatives (emails that are spam but not identified as such) you again need to look at the individual emails. If you would like further help troubleshooting this please post examples, including the Internet headers. Or you can log a ticket on our helpdesk and we will try to help, but in any case we will need specific examples.

Regards,
Sarah
jbourque

Post by jbourque »

Hey Sarah I'm having the same problem where I have users that are getting emails that are clearly marked as SPAM, VIRUS etc. The email is marked in MailScanner as High SPAM but yet my users are still getting these emails released to them.

Apparently they said it started to really get bad a few weeks ago.

I looked at the emails and everything appears to be detected however they are not deleted
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

jbourque wrote:Hey Sarah I'm having the same problem where I have users that are getting emails that are clearly marked as SPAM, VIRUS etc. The email is marked in MailScanner as High SPAM but yet my users are still getting these emails released to them.

Apparently they said it started to really get bad a few weeks ago.

I looked at the emails and everything appears to be detected however they are not deleted
This is a completely different issue, if mail is being correctly marked as spam but not deleted. Please see this FAQ:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=28

Regards,
Sarah
jbourque

Post by jbourque »

Sarah,

Thanks for the reply I have checked all the rules and followed the info in the post. I will log a ticket for this issue.

Joe