very high load after installing

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
minadreapta

very high load after installing

Post by minadreapta »

after installing mailscanner i get very high loads like 30 and 40.

i get processes like /usr/local/bin/clamscan --tempdir=/tmp/clamav.1524 -r --no-summary --stdout eating out 100% processor.

the process owner is mailnull.

can someone help me with this one? why is it even eating so much resources?

i have constant load of 20 and 30 for the last 4-5 hours. and the mail queue is almost empty...
Edward

Post by Edward »

Hey - what setting do you have for:

Virus Scanners =

In your MailScanner.conf? Sounds like you're got 'clamav'. This is the slowest way to scan messages - you'll probably want to switch to 'clamavmodule' so long as you have the required perl module installed (run MailScanner -v to check).

We use clamd and find this to be the best use of resources, but we do use a watcher script to restart clamd if it looks like it's crashed.

I'm not allowed to post URLs to other sites, but if you google for "MailScanner most asked questions", click the link and scroll down to "Optimization Tips" you'll find lots of other good advice.

-Edward
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Make sure you're not running out of disk space on the /tmp/ partition, and make sure you're using clamd as the virus scanner rather than clamav. Using clamavmodule is OK, but sometimes when clamav is upgraded it takes a while for clamavmodule to be updated, and meanwhile you're stuffed. Also try restarting clamd.
minadreapta

Post by minadreapta »

it seems i was using clamav and this was a problem.
i switched to clamd and everything looks good so far, i will keep monitoring.

thanks guys.
minadreapta

Post by minadreapta »

Edward wrote:
We use clamd and find this to be the best use of resources, but we do use a watcher script to restart clamd if it looks like it's crashed.
can you share the watcher script Edward ? thanks.
csfan

Post by csfan »

Sarah wrote:Make sure you're not running out of disk space on the /tmp/ partition, and make sure you're using clamd as the virus scanner rather than clamav. Using clamavmodule is OK, but sometimes when clamav is upgraded it takes a while for clamavmodule to be updated, and meanwhile you're stuffed. Also try restarting clamd.
What I can't understand is, Cpanel Service Manager has both the clamd and clamav options to enable and restart. The clamav option is under mailscanner. Which one should be ticked? I run clamd and have Virus Scanners = clamd in mailscanner config file.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

csfan wrote:What I can't understand is, Cpanel Service Manager has both the clamd and clamav options to enable and restart. The clamav option is under mailscanner. Which one should be ticked? I run clamd and have Virus Scanners = clamd in mailscanner config file.
In Service Manager only the clamav under Additional Services should be enabled. The clamd at the top should be disabled.

Regards,
Sarah
csfan

Post by csfan »

Sarah wrote:In Service Manager only the clamav under Additional Services should be enabled. The clamd at the top should be disabled.

Regards,
Sarah
Thank you.