MailScanner starting loop?

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
draknet

Post by draknet »

We have this on our 64 bit systems. I just updated the MailScanner configuration file and MailScanner, though running, stopped processing on all three servers. A stop and start of it at the command line gets it all running again - oddly enough, a restart in the MailScanner FrontEnd doesn't. Haven't figured that one out.

I've just learned to check it frequently. At some point, I'd like to get a script that checks the MailScanner queue of messages waiting to be processed and if it's over 50, restarts the whole rigamarole or, at the very least, alerts me when the number of messages waiting gets that high.

I agree, though, it is a bit of a pain. But on my non-64 bit systems, I don't have this problem so it is clearly a 64 bit issue (IMO).
chirpy

Post by chirpy »

Indeed. I find all sorts of problems with the 64bit OS's and they all revolve around the way that the /lib64 directoty has been setup. Most commonly it's perl modules from cpan that are a problem as practically none of them are configured to apply themselves on a 64bit Linux OS in a way that will work. I also see problems with apache and php builds.

I'd recommend to stay well away from x86_64 unless you are happy to dig around in Linux at the library level and it's not a production server. There's probably very little indeed gained by using the 64bit variant over the 32bit anyway since nearly everything is simply the 32bit code recompiled to run on 64bit and so provides little performance improvment. Especially since most people would rather have stability over ultimate performance .
xisn

ok...

Post by xisn »

I tested this tonight to see if it would work, I added the following lines to /scripts/postupcp

service MailScanner stop
killall -9 MailScanner
perl /usr/mscpanel/mscheck.pl

And everything seems to work fine... It seemed after every cPanel update MailScanner would stop working and mail would just sit into the Queue. We at first automated the script to run as a cron on the servers around the time cPanel would be complete with it's updates. On 2 of the servers I entered the above lines into the /scripts/postupcp file and surprisingly enough, all mail started flowing like it is supposed to.

Hope that helps!