clamav : 2 versions ...

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
bidouilleur

clamav : 2 versions ...

Post by bidouilleur »

in logwatch I get this

Last ClamAV update process started at Thu Sep 4 23:57:37 2008

Last Status:
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.91.2 Recommended version: 0.94

in mailscanner : ClamAV - v0.94 installed and up to date

indeed on root level i see clamav 0.91 dir, it was not installed bu yum since the remove command returns no package marked for removal.
No clue where this version comes from and not to sure how to get rid of it without breaking mailscanner that is running the latest version properly installed.

weirdest ,it is on root level ... absolutely not usual according me and just deleting the dir might be no good option
any tips for me on how to get rid of this old version without messing the newest ?

thanks
patmartini

Clamav Weirdness

Post by patmartini »

@bidouilleur - Hi!

Clamav, and Klamav as well, have been weird lately. Major updates have not been published in about a year. I was experiencing similar problems; mine mainly concerned dependencies between the two.

As for your Clamav version issues, I would just go and manually change the directory name of the former version install stuff. I am pretty sure it is just the artifacts of the obviously later install. This will hurt nothing, and I think your later version will continue to work just fine. After confirming this, you can just delete the entire directory.

The main issues presently concern libclamav.so - many versions and the installer sometimes does not link to a newer version. Should you experience this problem, go into /usr/lib (x86) or /usr/lib64 (x86_64) and place a symbolic link to the latest version installed - in my case libclamav.so.5.0.1. This did the trick for me, for now, but I am going to repackage and install the thing correctly anyway.

Good luck on this - I hope it works for you. Pat..