Spam Assassin Rules

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
jbourque

Spam Assassin Rules

Post by jbourque »

Now that I am running MailScanner does it still read the Spam Assassin rules that is stored in .spammassassin/ user_prefs. I would like to add custom rules.

If not how do I update the rules? I did see the updates in mailwatch but I am still getting tons of spam since moving to mail scanner.

Thanks
Joe
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Hi,
If You just installed MS its normal that some count of unstopped spam go through.
System have to learn itself. I wouldn mess with SA yet.
From my observation the strongest part is bayesian filtering but it have to learn. You can greatly seed up this process by teaching system. Its available through MailWatch. On top menu click "reports" and "message operation". Youll see messages list. On the left side Youll have option to tell if its spam or ham.
As for SA I just put new weight for SA rules. In my case they are stores in etc/mail/spamassasin/mailscanner.cf file.

Thats my values:
# Bump up SpamAssassin scores on the high and low end

score BAYES_50 1.5
score BAYES_60 2.0
score BAYES_80 4.3
score BAYES_95 5.5
score BAYES_99 8.5
score SPF_SOFTFAIL 1.5
score DCC_CHECK 4.5
score HTML_MESSAGE 0.4
score RDNS_NONE 0.9
score RAZOR2_CHECK 0.7
score RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100 1.8
score RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 0.7
score RCVD_IN_PBL 1.3
score RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL 1.0
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 2.2
score RCVD_IN_PBL 1.9
score RCVD_IN_XBL 3.5
score URIBL_BLACK 2.5
score RCVD_IN_NJABL_PROXY 3.0
score SPF_FAIL 1.5
score FUZZY_CREDIT 1.7
score FUZZY_VLIUM 0.7
score SPF_PASS -0.2
pli

Post by pli »

nabuhonodozor wrote: As for SA I just put new weight for SA rules. In my case they are stores in etc/mail/spamassasin/mailscanner.cf file.

Thats my values:
# Bump up SpamAssassin scores on the high and low end
good post. But I notice a recent date in etc/mail/spamassasin/mailscanner.cf file which indicates to me that that file changes with updates. Wont the added rules be deleted when an update happens?

P
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Yes, they will be overwritten with the new file. I just add those lines manually after updating MS.
The format is:
Score name_of_the_rule x.x
or
Score name_of_the_rule -x.x

Name of the rule is easly reachable from mail watch - open message there and look at "spam report" section. You can check which rule was applied so You can judge if its underestimated or overestimated. Change values very slightly.
best
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

You can simply create an additional .cf file in the /etc/mail/spamassassin/ directory with your own modified rule scores and even new rules. When we do an install we add a file called configserver.cf. You can call it anything you want, as long as it ends in .cf it will be read by SpamAssassin, and it will not be overwritten when MailScanner or SpamAssassin is upgraded.

Regards,
Sarah
pli

Post by pli »

Nice one Sarah

thanks
peter
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Great Sarah,
Its working this way. Ive created my_rules.cf and put all custom rules and after upgrading MS it parsed correct rules automatically.
Thanks,
Piotr
jbourque

Post by jbourque »

Is there a way to force the rules to be updated? I took a look at the mailscanner config file and it looks like Baynes is disabled by default?

What type of resources does it take? I am still getting alot of SPAM coming through each day. It does do a pretty decent job but would like to get it a little better.

Thanks
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Bayes should be enabled by default - where do you see that it is disabled? Do you have the MS WHM front-end with MailWatch? If so, are you seeing any bayes scores in the spam reports?

To ensure that your spamassassin rules are updated regularly, follow the steps in this FAQ:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=44
proker

Post by proker »

nabuhonodozor wrote:You can greatly seed up this process by teaching system. Its available through MailWatch. On top menu click "reports" and "message operation". Youll see messages list. On the left side Youll have option to tell if its spam or ham.
I tried that method for learning and I get this response:

Message 1M4Thi-0000tw-77 not found in quarantine

So has it learn something or not?