How to allow email with png and mov attachements?

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
maverick

How to allow email with png and mov attachements?

Post by maverick »

My customer's emails are being blocked if they have a .png or .mov file attached to the email. For the life of me, I can't figure out what to change to allow these attachments to go through.

I'm using ConfigServer Security & Firewall - csf v3.39. The config file in WHM doesn't show the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
wolf

Post by wolf »

there could be any number of reasons why your images are being dropped/removed. you should try looking at the recieved emails and check for error messages or notices of removed content for starters. perhaps a mailserver configuration needs adjusting? or maybe your spam control or virus control system needs tweeking. if generated from a webapplication, you may need to look into your mod_security rules.

best bet is trace your error/notice messages and dig through your logs. It can be a long and tedeious process but thats what webhost admins get paid for right ? :D

note: i dont think configserver firewall will edit and/or remove content from emails between users.... :)
maverick

Post by maverick »

Just realized it's MailScanner, not CSF where the problem lies.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

You need to look at the mailscanner reports either in the message received by the sender, or in MailWatch, to find out why the attachments are being blocked. More information can be found in this FAQ entry:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=12
maverick

Post by maverick »

Thanks Sarah!

In the link you posted, it says "NOTE: Be very careful when editing the filetype.rules.conf file as they are very general rules and you could end up allowing a lot of dangerous attachments through. It is better to change the filetype rules for only specific domains if possible, rather than all domains on the server."

How can we modify only for specific domains?

Thanks!
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Guess I should include a link to the other FAQ in the first FAQ, eh?

http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=13

Regards,
Sarah