MailScanner Status: Disabled!

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
Jerry

MailScanner Status: Disabled!

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for all the great scripts!

I am running Mailscanner FE 2.46 on my servers (cPanel 10.9.0 R118), mailscanner with default settings and CSF 2.5. All servers are setup the same.

On one server MS FE indicates "MailScanner Status: Disabled!" at the top of the page and the "mailScanner Enable" button gives only the enable option rather than disable option, indicating MS is not running. I have tried all the obvious to get it restarted.

I am confused because upon clicking mailScanner status it appears to be running:
"Checking MailScanner daemons:
MailScanner (pid 17867 17856 17843 17816 17463 17462) is running..."

Do you know how I can fix this?

Thanks for any help,

Jerry

update
I have tried everything on this page: http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/faq ... =14&page=1
[still not working]
Jerry

Update -- Fixed it

Post by Jerry »

Hi,

A quick update:

I did a upcp --force the other day. It installed clamavconnector. I have removed it and re-installed mailscanner.

Everything is enabled as normal now,

Happy Holidays!
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Hi,
I had the same issue today. Ive tried to update MS and clam to newest version.
Every update process (MS & Clam) stuck at the end showing something like "waiting for restart" or similar. Ive waited like 10 min or so but nothing happened. Ive tried to stop/kill/restart mailscanner (as in FAQ on the website) but w/o succes.
Ive forcefully update but issues remains. Ive checked and theres no cpanel addon installed.
Ive got responce from ServInt NOC that my case isnt isolated because other clients have same problems. Now I am in the middle of server restore.

Can somebody, especially Chirpy :) look at this problem?

Its something we can do to cope with this and install update on our servers.
Ill have to add that on other server update process went w/o any issues and its quite similar configuration.

Best regards,
Piotr
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Piotr,

What OS are you running? Is it a VPS?
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Hi Sarah,
Yes, its VPS with RH9 and I am starting to suspect that this is the reason of all issues.
Yesterday Ive recovered whole vps from previous backup.

All works except MailWatch had issues with DB -

"--------------
Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/3rdparty/mailwatch/functions.php on line 530
Error executing query:

Got error 127 from storage engine

"--------------

Today when Ive checked MailWatch it properly shows messages and all work ok without one thing - sometimes I cannot add filter in reports section. Some complicated filters works and some very simple dont, like following, and I am getting this message:

"--------------
Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/3rdparty/mailwatch/functions.php on line 530
Error executing query:

Got error 127 from storage engine

SQL:

SELECT
DATE_FORMAT(MIN(date),'%d/%m/%y') AS oldest,
DATE_FORMAT(MAX(date),'%d/%m/%y') AS newest,
COUNT(*) AS messages
FROM
maillog
WHERE
1=1
AND 1
AND
sascore < 10

"--------------

This leads to another issue: I cannot use report section.
If none filter is selected, clicking on every option (except "message operations") leads to the same error message ( like above)
IF I set filter which is accepted w/o errors then I can use all options in reports section( report viruses,top senders etc.).

Ive open ticket on Your site but maybe just use this forum to answer so other with the same issues could benefit because Servint NOC told me that they have more clients with the same problem.

Best regards Sarah,
Piotr
Sarah

Redhat 9 VPS upgrade problem with MailScanner

Post by Sarah »

The problem is described in this blog post:
http://www.configserver.com/blog/index. ... 41&catid=6

We have now added a check to the mailscanner install/upgrade script to check whether it is a VPS running Redhat 9, and if it is to abort it. Anyone with a VPS running Redhat 9 should upgrade their OS before attempting to upgrade or install MailScanner.
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Thanks,
I am just about to ask ServInt Noc to perform update :eek:
Hope everything goes ok - its my production server.

BTW, Sarah, its possible for You to add some warning in the WHM/cPanel for people to watch out for outdated RH9. Some of them, like me, wasn't carefull enough to read blog and check incompatibilities :o.

Best regards,
Piotr Esse
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Piotr,

We have released a new version of the MailScanner install script that actually checks for Redhat 9 on a VPS and aborts the installation if it is found to be a VPS running Redhat 9.

Sarah
nabuhonodozor

MS Auto-healing

Post by nabuhonodozor »

Thank You Sarah,
I just want to add that those weired db errors dissapeared after few days w/o my intervention.
As I wrote earlier after unsucessfull upgrade Ill have to recover whole vps from backup. After recovery mailscanner works, mails was delivered, but I have db errors in MailWatcher and I cant use filters properly. After few days all of issues dissapear by itself - the only intervention I can think of was Ive lower count of days mails are stored, from 60 days to 14 days. The next day everything works like a charm.
I meant this post for people who, after ms upgrade, recovered server - patience. in case of any issues wait for few days ;) ( I know its not very sophisticated way of solving server issues but in this case it worked)
best regards,
piotr
nabuhonodozor

Post by nabuhonodozor »

My server had just been migrated from RH9 to CentOS4.6.
I am in ServInt so didnt expect any troubles and indeed everything went smooth thanks to Jim. MS needs to be reinstalled but thanks to Sarah MS it working now flawlessly.

Best regards,
Piotr