Local Emails "Disappearing"

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
StayHosted

Local Emails "Disappearing"

Post by StayHosted »

Hello,

Local emails sent from one user mail account to another mail account on the same server (whether the same domain or another domain but still local to that server) are not arriving in the destination mailbox.

I can see the mail entries arriving in exim_mainlog, but after that there is nothing at all, no failure, no error, nothing arrives at all. Its been like this for a week or so now from what I am told as mails were sent but nothing arrived.

External mail in and out of the server are working just fine.

The MailScanner Service with all additions were paid for an installed on this server, all running up to date versions of MailScanner and ClamAV. I really dont know where to start looking as exim logs dont show anything.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Have you looked in MailWatch for these disappearing emails? We sometimes see this happening when a user's IP address gets listed in one of the RBLs.
StayHosted

Post by StayHosted »

Sarah wrote:Have you looked in MailWatch for these disappearing emails? We sometimes see this happening when a user's IP address gets listed in one of the RBLs.
Edited...

Sarah,

You are totally correct - Mailwatch is showing these local emails as on an RBL, flagged as RBL = Y

spam, SBL+XBL - Also reverse lookup failed.....

Well this is since changing ISP to talktalk, I dont think we have a hopes chance in getting a static IP address from them.

Can you advise why emails outbound work, is it just checking inbound mail for the RBL's ?

Whats the best way of getting around it adding talktalk IP ranges to whitelists or whitelisting the local domains?

TIA

Mike
sdjl

Post by sdjl »

Outbound emails aren't run through the blacklists that I'm aware of. It's a waste of resources mainly because most server admin's don't permit sending of spam and therefore nuke an account before it gets bad.

If this is a problem for only a select few domains, you could add those domains to the MailScanner whitelist, which is under: WHM Add ons -> ConfigServer MailScanner FE -> MailScanner Front End.

You can also use IP's in that whitelist box, should this be more open to other domains and not just a handful.

David