MailScanner won't start, lots of missing Perl modules

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
vigilante

MailScanner won't start, lots of missing Perl modules

Post by vigilante »

Randomly yesterday everything went from working fine to not working at all. We have a WHM/cPanel dedicated server, and MailScanner was installed manually years ago, not as a WHM module but just directly in CentOS.

I believe it's version 4.84.5.

We restarted the server just to be sure of a fresh start. Then tried to run "service MailScanner restart" and receive errors like this:

Code: Select all

Can't locate Sys/Hostname/Long.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Sys::Hostname::Long module) (@INC contains: /usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/local/cpanel /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/530/lib/perl5/cpanel_lib/x86_64-linux-64int /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/530/lib/perl5/cpanel_lib /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/530/lib/perl5/5.30.0/x86_64-linux-64int /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/530/lib/perl5/5.30.0 /opt/cpanel/perl5/530/site_lib/x86_64-linux-64int /opt/cpanel/perl5/530/site_lib) at /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner line 93.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner line 93.
I was able to find this module using the Perl module installer from within WHM. I also ran the command "cpan Sys::Hostname::Long" and installed it that way. One way or the other this worked but then threw another one. Almost the same error only it complained about "Sys::SigAction".
I was again able to get this one installed, but then MS threw yet another missing module for "Sys::SigAction::Alarm". This one I couldn't install. It was not found by WHM and doesn't appear to be in the CPAN database either. So now I'm stuck.

I have no idea what happened that morning, I suspect cPanel did an update, which is usually when things die. WHM shows as version 86.0.4.

I don't know if continuing to try and find missing Perl modules is how to fix this, or if I need a newer MS version or what. The server is CentOS 6.10.

We have emails piling up in the queue and not being delivered, I don't know how to bypass MS or deliver the messages or even upgrade the software since I can't find any upgrade scripts.

What are my options? I'd be find just removing MS, but I want to make sure the queued emails are delivered first, and that Exim is properly configured for cPanel control. I can turn on Spamassassin and clamav inside WHM as long as MS and Exim are properly reset to defaults and so forth.

Any advice or suggestions would help right now as nobody can get email!
Sarah

Re: MailScanner won't start, lots of missing Perl modules

Post by Sarah »

This forum is for MailScanner when used with the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End for cPanel. You say you installed Mailscanner directly and do not have the WHM plugin, so I assume you are not using our Mailscanner Front-End. In that case you should address your question directly to the Mailscanner developers at https://www.mailscanner.info/