Updated instructions?

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
websnail

Updated instructions?

Post by websnail »

I appreciate that much of the resources available are free but having looked through the information in the Install.txt and Readme.txt files I'm painfully aware that there are a number of ambiguities that aren't covered.
3. You now need to disable the following options in WHM:

WHM > Tweak Settings > SpamAssassin > uncheck
WHM > Service Manager > spamd > uncheck
Feature Manager > Edit feature list disable > SpamAssassin > uncheck
The bold item has two tick boxes so which box(es) should be unticked... It seems the monitoring side of things is the correct one but I can't locate a definitive answer on this.

As for the Feature Manager... presumable you need to disable spamassassin for every single feature list you've created or simply uncheck it in the "Disabled" Feature list as this would disable it across the board.

Other than that it seems pretty clear..

The page here:
http://www.configserver.com/free/mailscanner.html

... however really does need an edit... It still refers to the now defunct Dictionary Attack ACL and doesn't mention that this is now covered in the WHM/CPanel 11 Exim instructions. I appreciate it's not going to earn you money but as someone who used it in the past it'd help to have the info updated.

Just also to note that many of the threads refer to MSFE which I can only assume means Mail Scanner Front End but in one particular thread there was a slew of discussion about MYSQL which has no relevance to the MailScanner basic package so it confused the heck out of me (and probably others) until it became clear that MySQL was only required for the MSFE side of things.

Likewise MailWatch? No idea what this is or where it is...

Overall it just seems like a bit of a review of the documentation and a bit of an FAQ could help remove some of the queries and questions that doubtless crop up because of this stuff.

.. and just for the record, not a moan.. just a bit of feedback from the trenches.. Thanks for some useful resources.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for your input. I am in the process of editing the installation instructions on our website and in the INSTALL.txt in msinstall.tar.gz.
websnail wrote:The bold item has two tick boxes so which box(es) should be unticked... It seems the monitoring side of things is the correct one but I can't locate a definitive answer on this.
You need to untick both boxes next to spamd - both enable and monitor. MailScanner runs spamassassin itself so the spamd service should not be enabled in cPanel.
websnail wrote:As for the Feature Manager... presumable you need to disable spamassassin for every single feature list you've created or simply uncheck it in the "Disabled" Feature list as this would disable it across the board.
I will clarify the instructions. It is meant to instruct you to edit the feature set "disabled" and uncheck SpamAssassin there.
websnail wrote:Just also to note that many of the threads refer to MSFE which I can only assume means Mail Scanner Front End but in one particular thread there was a slew of discussion about MYSQL which has no relevance to the MailScanner basic package so it confused the heck out of me (and probably others) until it became clear that MySQL was only required for the MSFE side of things.

Likewise MailWatch? No idea what this is or where it is...
I've moved a few threads that were related only to the MailScanner Front-End, from the MailScanner forum to the MSFE forum. MailWatch is included with the MailScanner Front-End. Obviously there will be some overlap between issues with MailScanner and issues with the MailScanner Front-End, this can't really be helped.

There is a technical FAQ which was originally written for clients who had purchased our MailScanner installation service, but should be helpful as well to those who install MailScanner themselves using our free install script:
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/faqlist.php?catid=5

Regards,
Sarah
websnail

Post by websnail »

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that info and for taking on board the points raised..

Something else for you... I found that I was getting loads of errors in the exim-mainlog
"spamd connection to 127.0.0.1, port 783 failed": Connection refused
Turns out the problem may have been the existing Exim settings for Spamassassin. Using this FAQ helped resolve the problem.
http://www.configserver.com/techfaq/index.php?faqid=66

I now seem to have a working solution at long last but that exim config side of things was definitely a problem for a while there.
websnail

Post by websnail »

Something else for the instructions... :)

After you've installed everything and it's working... Make sure you go to:

WHM > Service Manager > mailscanner

.. and check both the boxes... this will then monitor and autorestart the service in the event of a problem or reboot.

Sounds obvious but I missed that Mailscanner had appeared in the services dialogue and as a result the service didn't restart when cpupdate ran last night... Oops! :)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

The install script automatically does that, not sure why it didn't in your case. Are you running Edge? It's possible cPanel have changed something in Edge so it didn't work, but since that's in beta we don't make any changes to our scripts until it comes out in current.
websnail

Post by websnail »

Sarah wrote:The install script automatically does that, not sure why it didn't in your case. Are you running Edge? It's possible cPanel have changed something in Edge so it didn't work, but since that's in beta we don't make any changes to our scripts until it comes out in current.
Hi Sarah,

having just installed it on a brand spanking new server I can confirm that it SHOULD do all that and did the second time round, but something went awry on the original server but then the server was having issues anyway.

Regardless, I've had a look at the new instructions and they are a lot clearer and made todays install a piece of cake.. Thanks for the prompt action and making it so easy to understand...

Cheers.