[SOLVED] Strange issue trying to start the firewall

SteveHawes

[SOLVED] Strange issue trying to start the firewall

Post by SteveHawes »

I have a server where CSF has been installed for over 3 years but has suddenly started acting up. I have also had Webmin installed on the server for the same length of time and both have worked together very nicely.

In the last couple of weeks I am having major problems with starting, stopping and restarting the firewall through Webmin and the Webmin dashboard says that the firewall is not running even when it is.

When trying to restart the firewall from within the Webmin module I get the following message:
Another app is currently holding the xtables lock. Perhaps you want to use the -w option?

And when I examine the status of the CSF service it looks like it didn't stop before trying to start again.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing CSF completely but it just comes back with the same problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Steve
Last edited by SteveHawes on 15 Apr 2020, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHawes

Re: Strange issue trying to start the firewall

Post by SteveHawes »

One further piece of information: restarting just the LFD process from within Webmin works fine
SteveHawes

[SOLVED] Re: Strange issue trying to start the firewall

Post by SteveHawes »

OK for anyone else who may have an issue like this I have traced the source of the problem. For some reason the SELinux permissions were wrong on the /run/xtables.lock file. Running the command below resolved all the issues.

/sbin/restorecon -v /run/xtables.lock