Maxmind discontinuing of the GeoLite Legacy Databases

marcele

Maxmind discontinuing of the GeoLite Legacy Databases

Post by marcele »

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you haven't seen this yet:

https://blog.maxmind.com/2018/01/02/dis ... databases/

Previously when I last looked at the new databases they didn't support ASN lookups but it looks like they have added GeoLite2 ASN support now (in a separate database):

https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/
ForumAdmin

Re: Maxmind discontinuing of the GeoLite Legacy Databases

Post by ForumAdmin »

We're working on it :)

Use of the new GeoLite2 databases is hampered by the prohibitive Perl module dependencies for the formatted data, so we're having to write our own perl module that works on the CSV's (as we currently do for IPv6) instead. This does mean the CSV files are very large.

We've got a working system with good lookup speeds and are continuing testing.
firewall_admin

Post by firewall_admin »

I wonder if there is any plan to support another free geolocation database such as IP2Location LITE in ConfigServer? It always good to consider as we do not want to see further changes disrupted our software.
marcele

Post by marcele »

firewall_admin wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 06:22 I wonder if there is any plan to support another free geolocation database such as IP2Location LITE in ConfigServer? It always good to consider as we do not want to see further changes disrupted our software.
You can already set your CC_LOOKUPS value to 4 in CSF 12.00 then CSF will use freegeoip.net instead of Maxmind Geo databases. Also the Maxmind changes don't happen very often (about every 10 years).