Doesn't allow access if ports not named eth0 & eth1

nobaloney

Doesn't allow access if ports not named eth0 & eth1

Post by nobaloney »

It appears that the ConfigServer firewall doesn't work on systems that call their ethernet ports something else besides eth0 and eth1.

Details:

I'm trying to use ConfigServer firewall on a DirectAdmin based system running on Dell Hardware.

The Dell Hardware names it's ethernet ports em1 & em2 instead of eth0 and eth1.

When I start the firewall the server no longer has access to the Internet, until such time as the 'test' mode times out.

Is there a workaround? Am I missing a configuration somewhere? I've Googled extensively but I may not be I may not be looking for the right words.

Any help will be appreciated; I'd like to use the ConfigServer firewall on these new (to us) servers.

Thanks.
ForumAdmin

Re: Doesn't allow access if ports not named eth0 & eth1

Post by ForumAdmin »

csf is running on such servers without issue and others with a whole myriad of ethernet device names. Usually, the reason for iptables issues such as those you describe with a default installation (i.e. leaving all the ETH_* options blank) is with custom kernels. Stock kernels usually don't have issues. You need to check /var/log/messages for kernel firewall block messages to see how the outbound connections are being blocked as iptables will report them. If you don't see any such messages, then the problem lies in the kernel/iptables implementation.
nobaloney

Re: Doesn't allow access if ports not named eth0 & eth1

Post by nobaloney »

I apologize for not replying sooner. You're right. CSF wasn't the culprit. I was. I was overthinking the problem and I renamed the ports when I built the system (when running the network setup script from the commad line) and doing so caused the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-script to be named ifcfg-eth0 instead of ifcfg-em1.

When I rebuilt the networking CSF (DirectAdmin) both had no problem with the new network settings. I'm sorry to have bothered you.