Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost'

Discuss the ConfigServer MailScanner Front-End script
SBNDawg

Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost'

Post by SBNDawg »

Just moments ago installed MSFE. Install was without issue. First attempt to open MailWatch this error pops up in the MailWatch window.

Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/3rdparty/mailwatch/functions.php on line 508
Could not connect to database: Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Anyone have a solution? Any help surely appreciated.

Thanks
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

We often see this if the MySQL root password is not set, or if it contains non-alphanumeric characters. Try changing the root MySQL password (in WHM) to something containing ONLY letters and numbers, and then reinstall the front-end.

Regards,
Sarah
SBNDawg

Post by SBNDawg »

Thank you Sarah. I have reset the root password as you suggested. The reinstall said I needed to go to ....Front End and press Change.Which I did. The problem still persists.
SBNDawg

Post by SBNDawg »

Forgot to add that I'm seeing this when reinstalling - Error: MySQL root password not stored in /root/.my.cnf

Should I uninstall first then reinstall?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

You shouldn't need to uninstall msfe before reinstalling. The error you're seeing about the root password not being stored in /root/.my.cnf usually indicates that you have not actually set the root MySQL password correctly via WHM. Not sure why it is showing this error if you have done so. I'd recommend going through those steps again:

1. Set the root MySQL password to something with only letters and numbers in WHM > SQL Services > MySQL Root Password (NOT "Reset MySQL Root Password"). If you use cPanel's 'Generate password' feature, be sure to uncheck the "symbols" box and then click Regenerate, then Use password.

2. Run the MSFE install script again:
wget http://www.configserver.com/free/msfeinstaller.tgz
tar -xzf msfeinstaller.tgz
perl msfeinstaller.pl
rm -fv msfeinstaller.*

3. Go to WHM > ConfigServer MailScanner FE > MailScanner Front-End and click 'Change'.

If this doesn't work then there may be some problem with your MySQL install. You're not running a remote MySQL server, are you?

Regards,
Sarah
SBNDawg

Post by SBNDawg »

Thank you Sarah. MailWatch is working now.

However I'm seeing something else that is unusual. With CSF/LFD enabled and running. The MSFE will not open, nor will several other web based pages in WHM. Additionally, the admin back end of my main business app (WHMCS) will not open.

If I shut down the CSF firewall. Then all is well.

Any idea what the conflicting item(s) might be in the CSF configuration?

Thanks
adtastichosting

Re: Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost'

Post by adtastichosting »

I am having this same issue. I purchased and installed mailwatch. On the installation I see this error: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO). I have found and followed all instructions for this error. I changed the root password via whm to use only letters and numbers. I did this by unselecting the special characters, generated a password of only letters and numbers and saved this configuration. I've uninstalled and reinstalled mailwatch. TO no avail no database connection. Cannot removed or repair database because it is not even created at time of install. And if you access mailwatch it says this: Could not connect to database: Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost' (using password: YES)