MailScanner Unable to Call SpamAssassin

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
PeteCassetta

MailScanner Unable to Call SpamAssassin

Post by PeteCassetta »

I have the normal ConfigServer MailScanner scripts on all my servers. For some reason, they stopped calling SpamAssassin on all my servers. I think this happened with the early morning update (October 7). Not a cPanel update, but just cPanel Packages updates, OS Package Updates, and SpamAssassin Rules Updates (when did they add this to the Update Config?). When I restart MailScanner, I get the messages below:

Code: Select all

Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.83.4 starting...
Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: Reading configuration file /usr/mailscanner/etc/conf.d/README
Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: Started SQL Logging child
Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: You want to use SpamAssassin but have not installed it.
Oct  7 08:41:45 hostname MailScanner[32022]: Please download http://[URL removed as per forum rules]/mailscanner/files/4/install-Clam-SA.tar.gz and unpack it and run ./[This is "install dot sh" but the forum won't let me post that] to install it, then restart MailScanner.
Oct  7 08:41:45 secure10 MailScanner[32022]: I will run without SpamAssassin for now, you will not detect much spam until you install SpamAssassin.
I find, however, that SpamAssassing seems fine. It is certainly installed and "spamassassin --lint" gives no errors.

I've been trying without success to figure out why it's not getting called by MailScanner. Any ideas?
FredForrest

Re: MailScanner Unable to Call SpamAssassin

Post by FredForrest »

I have the same issue, submitted a support ticket but no response yet. I also did the reinstall the log file indicates and reinstalled mailscanner from whm etc.. nothing seems to get spamassassin working again.
PeteCassetta

Post by PeteCassetta »

Hi Fred, sorry to hear you have the same problem, but at least I'm not alone. I'm sure Jonathan & Sarah will sort it out. I haven't submitted a ticket yet, so if you get an answer there, please share it in this thread.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Looks like there was an issue with one of the perl modules and a cPanel update. This seems to fix it:

Login to SSH as root and run this command:

(CORRECTED - thanks to Pete)

/scripts/perlinstaller NetAddr::IP
service MailScanner restart
Regards,
Sarah
FredForrest

Post by FredForrest »

It looks like Sarah resolved it, I never had any doubt they would :)
gabrielle

Post by gabrielle »

Sarah, we just ran the command, restarted MailScanner, but got this message after restarting MailScanner:

Oct  7 10:58:32 klee MailScanner[26666]: You want to use SpamAssassin but have not installed it. 
Oct  7 10:58:32 klee MailScanner[26666]: Please download http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/files/4/install-Clam-SA.tar.gz and unpack it and run ./install.sh to install it, then restart MailScanner. 
Oct  7 10:58:32 klee MailScanner[26666]: I will run without SpamAssassin for now, you will not detect much spam until you install SpamAssassin.
Help appreciated.
PeteCassetta

Post by PeteCassetta »

Hi Sarah, Thanks a lot! But the correct command is below (remove the first set of :: so that NetAddr is one word).
Sarah wrote:Looks like there was an issue with one of the perl modules and a cPanel update. This seems to fix it:

Login to SSH as root and run this command:

Regards,
Sarah
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Sorry about that, Pete. Glad you figured out what the correct module was.

Regards,
Sarah
PeteCassetta

Post by PeteCassetta »

Also, it seems necessary to restart MailScanner after installing NetAddr::IP:

service MailScanner restart
gabrielle

Post by gabrielle »

Pete - that new command worked. Many thanks.