Quicker ways to train

Discuss our MailScanner install script and MailScanner itself
hotwired

Quicker ways to train

Post by hotwired »

Hi All,

Because MailScanner seems to be letting more and more spam through, I'd like to train it, but the only method of training I'm aware of is painfully primitively slow: Going to MailWatch, hitting "message operations" and clicking one box at a time, having to wait 60 seconds for that one screen of trained messages to go through, then going back, going to next page, doing over.

Even if I could go to next page and check more boxes, then 3rd page, etc. but if you check spam, ham or forget boxes on first page, then navigate to the next, all the "checks" on the previous page are cleared. Is there a faster way?

Right now I've just started getting spam that makes it through to my outlook inbox, finding the ip, removing the last octet and replacing it with 0/24 and pasting it into the blacklist box in MSFE.

Imagine this scenario: You simply forward spam that makes it through to a special email address and it does the same thing as "training" in MW...Can something like this be made to happen?

Otherwise, I've heard installing assp deluxe and letting it work WITH MS works pretty well, and it DOES have a feature whereby you can simply forward spam that gets let through to a 'learning' email address.

Any thoughts...?

I'd love to learn how to craft rules, but reading doc for spamassasin is like reading spanish. I can understand SOME of it, but not enough to feel confident ....
hotwired

Re: Quicker ways to train

Post by hotwired »

I'm really surprised no replies here. The basic message is, "ConfigServer MailScanner is letting alot of spam through and I've followed about everything I can understand on the FAQs and still no improvement. Training does nothing. Adding ips' with the last octet replaced by 0/24 does nothing. Not a single bit of reduction."

It's like there's 50,000,000 ip addresses for spammers and they're different every day. I'm seriously thinking of going back to writing letters and mailing them...

I'd love to do something to improve this for my 129 web hosting clients but I am powerless. My outlook spam filter is 3-4x more effective than my MS setup. I do get it, Sarah and MS aren't really responsible, I think from what I understand, MS is just the "wrapper" that contains spam assasin and clam av and let's you use those tools easier, right?? Should I be looking at spamassasin forum vs. this one ??